Stolen NPR and Commercial Equipment

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by georgiagrass, Sep 20, 2009.

1. georgiagrass

georgiagrass LawnSite Senior Member

A black male thief stole one of our Isuzu NPRs (2006 NPR w/5.2 litre diesel) at gunpoint several days ago. He walked up to the driver right after the crew had pulled up to a customer's property, pulled a gun and demanded the keys. He drove off with the truck and a full load of commercial equipment. Fortunately, nobody got shot. Equipment on the truck included a 2008 Exmark Lazer 46/19, a fairly new Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36/15, a 2 year old Honda Commercial push mower (21") and 7 pieces of Stihl equipment. Pics of the truck are attached.

Earlier this year, we had another Isuzu NPR stolen from in front of a customer's property while the crew was in the back yard. The truck was recovered abandoned 5 days later, but the Walker MTGHS 26/42 and 5 pieces of Stihl equipment were all gone.

Other than having good insurance, I'm not sure what to do about this. Obviously, the bad economy is driving some of these crimes, but the thieves seem to be getting more brazen. The cops' attitude is, at best, indifferent. They make a report, but I don't think any investigation gets done. It's very frustrating, expensive and disruptive for the business.

00.jpg

10.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sucks, Atlanta is a crime ridden area though...I don't think you can do much other than keep your insurance up to date like you said. Try looking on CraigsList for someone selling your stuff. Good luck!

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Know what I would like to read in one of these threads? "An attempeted robber was shot dead today on the spot for trying to rob a LCO" The robber was shot point blank in the head with a 44 mag by a hardworking LCO, paramedics and police had to clean up what was left of his head and brains.... Oh, I forgot, these low live SOB's that rob us have more right than we do!

4. georgiagrass

QLC4U: Thanks for the thought. I agree with you, with one modification. I would add: "The LCO's owner was permitted by the police to mulch what was left of the robber, using the equipment he had tried to steal." Hope things are going well for you in Waycross this year.

Ric: Thanks for your thoughts as well. Unfortunately, you are correct about Atlanta. It's not the gentle southern town it was when I was born here. We do keep an eye on Craigslist. Best to you.

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

About a month ago, we had several motorcycles stolen in south Raleigh. But then the thugs stole two more, one with a LoJack system. The cops showed up and the second cop on scene had the Lojack tracking equipment in his patrol car.

The system led the cops only a mile or so away and when the cops drove down the dead end road, there were two guys unloading two more stolen bikes off a stolen trailer. They ran but were caught.

All nine stolen bikes were recovered. Just an idea for your Isuzus. :)

6. georgiagrass

Lawnspec: Thanks for mentioning Lojack. We are already looking into that option and will probably be purchasing that protection. I believe we will also get an insurance deduction as a result. I am also inquiring as to whether it is possible to add Lojack to individual mowers.

7. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

it is, they make them for a construction equipment I don't see why that wouldn't work for the bigger mowers

8. georgiagrass

This truck still has not been recovered.

9. margoatl

margoatl LawnSite Member

What part of town was the truck stolen? We have had two bad thefts such as yourself in Alpharetta. Wondering if it might be the same individuals. We were able to get our vehicle back, but not our trailer or any of the equipment.

10. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

I could see them being able to sell the stolen mowers, but with the VIN and all the other indentifying numbers on the truck, how would they sell that? I guess they could paint the flat bed a different color and maybe have the cab painted too, but it would still be hard to sell, unless they just sell it on the black market( if that even exists?)