Stolen signs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnprosteveo, Nov 8, 2005.

1. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Dropped $130 on some leaf removal signs. Thought it would be a good way to get biz in a more centralized area...

Problem is, every sign I have put out has been taken! I'd like to know if some son of a b**** is taking them because he'd get a kick in the brain!

Anyone else have this experience?

2. Mike Dye

Mike Dye LawnSite Member

Not Me! The last thing I want is more leaf work!

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Well.. let's start at the beginning and see if we can find who is "taking" your signs. The signs that were "stolen", where were they posted/located?

4. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

city code enforcement agency. kick their @$$ and burn them down!

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh yeah, you mean you nailed or otherwise affixed said signs to street posts and the like? Give you some skinny:

1) Always make at least 50 signs.
    2) Take 10 - 20 at a time and put them out and REMEMBER WHERE !!!
    3) Then, once MOST of those are gone, take 10-20 more and put them out but NEVER put one where you've already done it!

It is POSSIBLE another Lco is being cute, that's not out of the question but usually Community Associations and neighborhood residents stop to take them down, not to be cute but because it is unsightly and it vandalizes their neighborhood and nobody gave you permission AND it is against the law as well. So, do it ONCE per sign and NO MORE or you can get in trouble but I used to do this and never had a problem...
    Nowadays, paid ads in the newspaper and the phonebook take care of all these headaches for me, I got tired of risking a fine (it's like 500 dollars for 'doing' a street sign or thereabouts, something about defacing government property, forgot).

6. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Not bad. Why are you still cutting grass/gathering leaves?

......OH, I see, you placed your signs on someone else's property???

Your signs were not "taken" they were removed. Consider your $130 a tuition payment to the school of common sense. Class Dismissed.:waving:

7. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

IF someone puts signs on property that i take care of.
    I call and ask them to be removed or a charge of 5.00 per sign to trim around. Most of the time they go in the trash.

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You definitely are going to lose some signs, there's really no way around it. And it's all about luck, what person is going to see your sign and call needing a lot of work? We purchased 50 signs this year on a whim. Put out around 26 of them in early March. We didn't pick up a single mowing account from them, at least half of them got stolen...... but we picked up over $17,000 worth of work..... on two calls. Luck, luck, luck. Will we be putting out the remainder of ours signs next year, you bet. And if you have customers that are in a good location, ask them if you can put them in their yard. We did that, and also stuck some at a few busy intersections.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

That's why you should buy those cheap cloroplast signs, not a big loss if they come up missing. In fact, with what few I did put I fully expected to not see them again. If I got them back it was a bonus.

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Exactly, we broke down the cost, and it was like $4.00 a sign. So every time we would go by a location and see one missing, we'd say, "there goes another 4 bucks." But for us, the signs were indeed a good investment.