1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stolen Signs

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by cm82pa, May 8, 2007.

1. cm82pa

cm82pa LawnSite Member

I have intersection signs around town. First, they are working great. I have a log at home of where I placed them and what calls came from which ones. HIGHLY RECCOMMEND TRYING IT!!! My problem isn't getting calls, problem is... they keep ending up missing. Now I know you lose some because of putting them somewhere you shouldn't or people don't like them there or whatever. Heres the issue. I put one up at an intersection where there a lot other signs, not landscaping but morgage, relators, house cleaning those kinds of things. About a week later my sign was gone five signs, and mine was the only one missing. About two, three days later I see a landscaping sign within three feet where mine was. Maybe luck, but another sign I placed at a friends property edge dissapeared. That one was there for two weeks BEFORE the other one was placed. About 30 feet down there was another sign of the same company as before was there. Now I know its tough to get started. These signs that are replacing mine are hand written with marker, mine are professionally done inconjuction with my marketing firm. Do i call and confront this guy or do I let it ride. I spend a lot of money as all of us do, I imagine this is a new guy with a truck and a mower trying to start a business. (aka lowballer, weekend warrior) This is my first year full time as a LCO so I'm worried also, but I won't try to screw some elses dream of success for the benefit of mine. What to do???:confused:
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

1. dog eat dog
    2. pull his signs
    3. throw in garbage.

1a. Amuse yourself.
    2a. Write down phone number and company name.
    3a. Refer your pitas on over.
  3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

take a bigger different color marker and cross out his phone number on them and write yours in it's place. Or, better yet, if his signs are on white, take something white and block out his phone number, take a marker the same color as what he is using and write your phone number in there. Chances are, if he's driving around just looking at his signs, he won't notice that the phone number is not his as long as nothing else is disturbed.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I did this once. In your travels write down about 5 addresses around town, call him up to have him look at "your rental properties", after he wastes his time driving all over town and calls you back............. well you can choose what to do next.
  5. twanked~ls

twanked~ls LawnSite Member

sit there and watch the sign for a few hours. or ask a buisness close to the spor to maybe keep an eye adn mow there gras for free or somthing. maybe a camera???
  6. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

Those signs .... are well .... trashy .... sorry ...but People are driving ....ya know ....sould be focused on the road

The target market is anyone & anywho .... from renter to pita ....from crap yard to dead-beat ..

Better to post signs in yards or properties that you maintain ..

Not to come off .....snotty or holy than thou ...but I just don't like em ...But if they are working ....than GREAT ... power to ya .... get a tall ladder n stick it up like 12 foot on a telephone pole
  7. buchwald

buchwald LawnSite Member

I would pull his down and put your signs up. If the same thing happens then you know it's him.

I thought about doing these signs on the poles, but I think where I am, I might get in trouble for hanging them up. I still might try a few to see what happens.
  8. theturfboss

theturfboss LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Ill tell you what gets to me...Say we have a customer that we fertilize, spray, and mow. The lawn looks great. They hire someone else to do their mulching and that someone puts a sign in the lawn advertizing their work. The thing is, on the sign it will say "mowing, fertilizing, etc", as well as mulching (or vise versa). They have their sign on our work! We dont use signs, but for some reason, when we come accross a sign for work in our lawns they always seem to jump in front of our mowers!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have used em the customers are pita or call me when they think it needs cut bad customers.