Stolen Stuff ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnpro2210, Mar 29, 2008.

1. lawnpro2210

lawnpro2210 LawnSite Member

I have been mowing for about three years and was just wondering how many people get there stuff stolen?and what stuff those ******* ******* go for. Now that im starting to gather more and more equipment im noticing the value of all my stuff.I live in the country and in a nice neighbor hood.I was planning on renting a back half of a church out to put my equipment in.I can see the church from my house through a row of pine trees. I mean who ever steeles from a church should just plane out go to HE!!. and was just wondering how many of you get stuff stolen and what you all do to keep it protected. tell your story if its happend to you. thanks mike
  2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

ive had trimmers, blowers, easy stuff to carry stolen. thts why i have an enclosed trailer now!!!!
  3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I have not had anything stolen from me yet but there has been several break-ins in my neighborhood in the past year. I too live in a nice neighborhood and area that you wouldn't think would have much crime but it happens and the sheriff's dept. is only 2min away from my house. I keep all my stuff locked in my garage or in my shed when it is not in use. But don't count on your equipment being safe just because it is on a church property.
  4. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Well, then some people will be going there that is for sure. they are stealingt he copper right out of the a/c units down here in Columbus.

5. bblawncare

bblawncare LawnSite Member

I was robbed twice in 2006. I had an enclosed trailer that I was not allowed to keep at my house (city ordinance) so I paid to park it at a storage facility in an outside parking space. I showed up one morning in July 06 and my back ramp was down and every rack was empty-my heart fell to my feet. I just sat on the ramp and cried. I was just stunned-EVERYTHING was gone except my 2 mowers. I had a brand new 2000 watt generator, 2 edgers, 3 or 4 chainsaws (from the hurricanes in 04/05) 3 weedeaters, 2 backpack blowers, handheld blower, 2 40" hedge trimmers, 2 30" hedge trimmers, 1 extended length hedgetrimmer and some other smaller things. In all, it was close to $7500 I lost. When I went to call in to the insurance company they had no record of me asking for the $5000 blanket coverage policy I had requested in March (policy renewed in April and it never got put on there). :cry:

I gradually recovered and by November, I had replaced just about everything that was stolen. Then on Christmas Eve my storage place called me and said my trailer had been damaged and I had better get up there. The damn thieves had cut my side door all up and took all my stuff AGAIN!! I was just beside myself-I pulled my trailer out of there that morning and never went back. I sold the enclosed trailer, bought a 6 x 12 double axle open trailer and keep that locked in my garage at nite. I traded my truck for a cargo van and that has helped me not miss the enclosed trailer so much. My hedge trimmers and chain saws are locked to the racks inside the van, as are my weedeater, edger, and blower on the trailer. I lost A LOT of money in 06 and that has made it very difficult for me since, but I am happy to say that I am still working and making those house payments. :clapping:
  6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I've had a major theft and never got anything back. I now utilize a fence system I bought at tractor supply, 2 dogs inside the fence and everything cabled together. I have a surprize too but, can't talk about it. 5th and all, wouldn't want to incriminate myself.
    I thought about training the dogs to eat gonads but, I have to go in there too! Tony
  7. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

x 2 on the fenced in yard and dog .. i have a 115 lb Rott i would like to see someone try and get to my stuff:).. lol when i had my sidewalk poured she (rott) chased the concrete man on to my porch, he jumped on the deck railing and climb on the roof:laugh::laugh:. .. all she wanted to do was play:laugh:
  8. lawnpro2210

lawnpro2210 LawnSite Member

Thinking of playing it safe and gouing with a enclosed trailer and just parking it in my drive but from bblawncare that doesnt even sound safe sometimes.tharrell i have a suprize to but mine shoots high powered paint very fast :realmad:-:gunsfirin:-help:=:clapping:
  9. kubotab7200

kubotab7200 LawnSite Member
    from Newkirk

a friend of mine had a brand new stihl weedeater stolen last year. he gave almost 400 bucks for it 2 days after he got it some son of a ***** stole it ,a five gallon can of gas and tried to drain gas out of his mowers by popin off the gas line to the carb. he told me about all this almost in tears he was so pissed. i started parking my truck and trailer where i can see it at all times and i have an 1.5 inch piece of pipe about 3 feet long within reech incase someone tries to steal my stuff, if they want to steal from me they gotta fight for it. ive never been ripped off but i feel sorry for the ones that have, it takes time and money to aquire equiptment and one sorry basturdd to carry it all off. no body deserves that.
  10. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I try to store as much equipment inside of my storage building as possible, as well as having locks on EVERYTHING.

About 3 weeks ago some a**hole stole three wheels and tires off of my Bobcat trailer; upon replacing them I also installed lock nuts and a cable lock on the spare.

Also, I have contractor's insurance on EVERYTHING.