1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stolen Trailer And Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jay9437, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Jay9437

Jay9437 LawnSite Member

On Feb, 11th of this year came out to find my trailer with all of my eguipment had been stolen! A 2002 Scag 61" Turf Tiger ZTR, Gravely 36" walk behind plus string trimmers, back pack blower, 12 ' fiberglass ladder, misc items and tools. Instant lawn care business! No hope the Police will find equipment or trailer, The trailer was a 16' enclosed metal with a heavy ramp and winch. Insurance paid very little. Has anyone experience this misfortune and what was the final results if any on the recovery of stolen property? :cry: :angry:
  2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

that sucks, get better insurance
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That just blows...period. Sorry to hear that.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would be p*ssed about that. Sorry to hear what happened. If it was me I would start driving around the neighborhoods and look for the trailer
  5. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

What do you mean insurance paid very little?

If you have inland marine (that's what my insurance company, State Farm, calls it) they ought to pay for the cost of replacing the equipment.

Did they try to tell you the stuff was old so they weren't paying to buy new equipment? That would be fair if you could find similarly used equipment. The problem is, you need the equipment tomorrow and only a dealer can do that. I don't think it would be fair for an insurance company to say, "Well, the mower was two years old, and it was $2,200 new so we'll pay you $1,400 on it." I don't think that would be fair at all, because it would take you days, if not weeks, to find a similar used mower. Buying new at the dealership, you might be able to replace all your equipment promptly. Your customers aren't going to wait for you to shop for weeks to find used equipment.

Did you have inland marine coverage?

DFW Area Landscaper
  6. vharrison2

vharrison2 LawnSite Member

That is terrible, have you checked ebay for any of the items also pawn shops
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I had 2 deckover trailers stolen a couple of years ago. Insurance did not send me a check to replace them brand new. They took the intial purchase price, deducted a % for the number of years they were used, and then subtracted my deductible to come up with a $$$ number for my claim.
  8. mole

mole LawnSite Member

sorry to here that. that's why I'm not a big fan of in-closed trailers. Just to easy to pull up and go when trailer is sitting idle off the truck.
  9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I would think inland marnine policies are like car insurance, it will only cover the cost to replace the item, not replace the item brand new. So if a 3 year old mower is stolen and worth $5000 and new it's $9000, then you get $5000. I was in an accident a few years ago in which my truck was totaled, the insurance company gave me a check to cover the cost of a vehicle just like it, 1994 dodge dakota, not a 2004 dodge dakota.
  10. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

that happened last summer at a local home depot , from what i heard the guy gos in the store ,15 minutes later the whole damn trailer is gone :realmad: :realmad: :realmad: my god seek hes vengeance on those bast***ds