Stolen Work

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by PYMLscape, Nov 21, 2006.

1. djlawn

djlawn LawnSite Member

I have to agree that I don't think the other company was trying to "steal" work from you. I agree with many of the others that have said that the other company was most likely trying to keep a high paying customer happy. They may have given your customer that $500 job or whatever as as a customer appretiation token for all the business that your customer does with their company. Unfortunetely things like this do happen some of the time. If it becomes regualr habit then, I would reconsider my business relationship. However I don't think that there was any maliciousness intended. The thing I have had and heard of being a problem is people stealing your yard signs.

2. Maitland Man

Maitland Man LawnSite Member

Every year........20-40 signs ....vanish!:dizzy:

Dennis

3. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Confront the homeowner and the bussiness seperatly and ask them what is happening here. Ask homeowner ''If I wasn't to complain right now, would I have just beem phased out completely?'' And ask the landscaper ''Did the homeowner sign a contract saying that you are doing the clean-ups now?'' I am curious what the responces would be.

4. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I just post this for newbies that may not want to read the whole post.

What in the ***do you hope to gain by confronting anyone! You are a contractor working for the pleasure of the homeowner. You have no rights except to get paid for work you have completed period. If you think otherwise it may soothe your ego but it wont put any money in your bank account. Advising others to be confrontational with a customer is irresponsible.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Agree!!!! This is a perspective that is too often missed in these kinds of threads. The "hiring party" and the "hired party" are too often mixed up, setting up unreasonable expectations.

6. FATWEASEL

FATWEASEL LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Az Gardener
    You are a contractor working for the pleasure of the homeowner. You have no rights except to get paid for work you have completed period.

I agree with both Az Gardener and Roger. If you approach the home owner, having a little humility will get you alot further than coming off as having an entitlement attitude.

In that situation I would probably let the home owner know that I had planned to do the job, as I have done in the past, but that I saw they had gotten someone else to do it. I'd then inquire if they were unhappy with my services and if they were, I'd appreciate the opportunity to correct the matter.:)

Idealtim...if I, as a homeowner, was confronted like that by a serviceman, I'd settle up my bill then and there and tell you that your services were no longer needed.:nono:

Andy

7. firefightergw

firefightergw LawnSite Gold Member
    from Texas

If I were you, I would look at this from an opportunity standpoint but first lets look at the facts. Your customer has a larger company that takes care of all of his commercial sites. You take care of his home with the exception of the landscaping. Your beef is that when the larger company comes to do the landscaping, they are also going above board and also cleaning your customers leaves, that you would normally do and bill for. However, since they are doing it, you can't do it and bill for it so you are loosing money. Sound right?

1. The customer doesn't care as long as the work gets done.
    2. The larger customer is not trying to steal your work, they just want to make sure their customer is happy so that they can keep the commercial jobs and the landscaping work.

Now listen. This is opportunity knocking. Determine how many times you go out and would normally remove leaves during the year. Now multiply this number by the $'s you charge each time. Now you have a total amount for leaf clean-up for the year. Do the same thing for all of the services you provide this customer. Add it all up, divide by 12 or 9 or however many months you wish them to pay you by month and problem solved. You go out there and there are no leaves to clean up, pick up the five leaves that are in the yard and your done. End of story and you still get paid.:dizzy:

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Thats Using the grey matter....ammortized billing wins again....

9. Matt k

Matt k LawnSite Member

Well said.

Whenever my guys install a landscape, hardscape, or water feature it is protocol to clean up the yard around the serviced area. If the job is within 15 mi., I will have a maintenance crew stop by and mow the whole property. Couple reasons:
    1. Wow factor for the client when they first see the completed job
    2. Under Promise and Over Service
    3. My foreman are supposed to take pics when the job is completed, do you think I want a cluttered lawn around a new landscape? It would be like taking a picture with a white shirt with a big red stain across the front of the shirt.

JMO