1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stone beds?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fiveoboy01, Mar 30, 2007.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

For those of you who do some stone in leiu of mulch for beds...

How long does it take you to install a yard of stone(1-2") provided a reasonable distance to the bed from the location of the load of stone? IE 25-50 feet or so.
  2. boxsky

boxsky LawnSite Member

I do both. Example of one was 26 tons of stone 3 guys (inlcuding myself), a small front loader. I dumped and they racked it out. Took 6 1/2hrs. Charged about 2300 for the job. Paid the guys about 300 and think stone was close to 900, rental was 200.

Hope this helps.
  3. TFmike

TFmike LawnSite Member

best way is a truck with a cols shute in the tail gate, load wheel barrows right out of the truck. one guy rakes 2 wheel goes real quick. 2nd best is a loader, we have done it shoveling off the ground (it sucks). I would never dump on anything but a hard surface (clean up sucks too). round stone is much easier than flat both for the raker and shoveler, charge plenty, it lasts forever, actual labor tail gate method is quicker than shoveling mulch, pile take about 2.5 times more than bark.
  4. packer101

packer101 LawnSite Member

its a pain... looks nice, but sucks cause its bad for any plantings there