Stone Calculator?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by XC skier, May 13, 2014.

1. XC skier

XC skier LawnSite Member

Mulch, sand, stone dust, item 4 and concrete quantities are pretty easy to calculate but, what about stones? Say a customer wants to replace their mulched beds with decorative stone. If we're talking about the small white or red ones it's virtually the same as mulch but, if they want to use 3" river rock then things change because just one rock is greater than the depth that we would usually mulch and you would be able to see the fabric through the gaps. What formula would you use to determine how many yards of 1.5", 2" or 3" stone you would need per square foot.

Part 2: Does stone size affect production rates? I use the figure of 1.25 yds per man hour for mulch and 1 yd per man hour for the 1/4" stone so I would guestimate that as the stone size increases the production rate decreases- does it?
  2. AMW Landscaping

AMW Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure on part one. Part two is yes. The weight of the stone will change because a yard of small and a yard of big rocks do not weigh the same. The smaller are also easer to handle and spread
  3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

4. BlockHead23

BlockHead23 LawnSite Member

We figure you get roughly about 80 square feet per ton of 3/4" -1.5" gravel. And 70 square foot per ton for 2.5"-3+" gravel
  5. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

I received this answer several years ago when I had the same question as you.

you can buy rock by the ton. They will tell you how much area it will cover. 1 ton of 1-2" river rock covers about 90sqft. So what you need to do is measure where its going... say 10'x4' = 40sqft divide by 90 is .44. So about 1/2 ton.
  6. XC skier

XC skier LawnSite Member

Ok, but that is still kind of general. For a small area like 90 sf the difference is negligible; however, if we're talking 2,000 sf then you would certainly want a more exact formula. There is a big difference between 1" and 2" stone and what if you're using 3"? The gaps between each stone increase requiring more to achieve complete coverage, so you need 4" depth with 2" stone or 6" depth with 3" stone. Not only does the material usage go up but, also the trucking and especially the labor.
  7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

You mean that the calculator that I posted a link to isn't close enough for you guys?:confused:
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member