stone dust driveway?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobbyg18, Dec 12, 2006.

1. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

customer already has stone dust delivered for a secondary driveway...this will be a temporary driveway, and they wont be paving it in the future...they want to spread it over the existing dirt...they want to keep the $$ to a min...

he wants me to spread the stone dust with my skid steer...

i realize that stone dust won't drain as much as gravel, but will it creat any problems?...will it get too muddy with the lack of proper drainage...i just want to be clear with the customer...thanks

2. charlie orr

charlie orr LawnSite Member

What Is The Status Of The Existing Driveway? Is It Muddy, Is There Proper Drainage? Has It Washed Out?

3. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

its not really even a driveway right now...it runs next to the existing driveway and goes up-hill...

its really just dirt, no grass or anything...and it looks like some gravel is mixed in there

im thinking if i just leave it graded down towards the street it may drain down towards the street?...i just wasnt sure how well the stone dust will handle the elements?

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Stone dust has to be spread when dry pack it in then its ready to go but if your doing it when its raining forget it the stuff will never pack. It helps if the crusher dust is a little damp it helps compacting. It works well if you spread it out thin pack it down and put another layer on it.

5. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

thanks...i just did a driveway today for another customer and they had a mix of 3/4 " gravel and stone dust...it spreads so easily...

GR, saturday i will try spreading it thin and then pack it down...thanks

6. Gravel Rat

Usually stone dust can be spread 4"s or so then take a plate compactor to it or if you have access to a double drum roller. What we use here is a excavator with steel tracks works fine.

7. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

GR, i will be renting a compactor this weekend to do both driveways...i havent used one before but i hear they are simple to use...

8. Gravel Rat

If your renting a plate tamper ya they are easy to run keep your feet away from the machine and keep the rpms up.

9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

what kind of tamper you renting?....DONT rent a jumping jack...if anything go with a small walk behind double-drum trench roller with the smooth drums instead of the sheeps foot.

10. Gravel Rat

It would take forever to use a jumping jack and you would never get a smooth finish.