Stone estimate

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ron mexico75, Mar 28, 2011.

1. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a different formula for figuring how much gravel you need then the one you use for mulch?

I plan on using some brown river rock in several beds and sloping areas. Client is strongly against mulch.

2. ron mexico75

anyone? I have a good idea of how much I need but was wondering if the formula was different since gravel is sold in tons and not yards. At least that's what I've seen at a few different places.

3. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

4. ron mexico75

Thanks man. Yeah I've seen a few of these "calculators" but was wondering how you calculate. You know, mulch is: sq ft X depth divided by 27. Just wondering, not a huge deal I guess since there is always an online calculator.

5. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

with stone around here the figure it by the ton and my expirence is that a "yard" of stone weighs about 1.5- 1.75 tons.

6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

#3 River gravel is very close to 1 ton per yard.

I've always had a hard time estimating river gravel. I estimated 8 yards for a job once and only used 4.5. Fine by me, I saved 70 bucks.

7. makbootzy

makbootzy LawnSite Member

you can buy rock by the ton. They will tell you how much area it will cover. 1 ton of 1-2" river rock covers about 90sqft. So what you need to do is measure where its going... say 10'x4' = 40sqft divide by 90 is .44. So about 1/2 ton.