1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stone/Mulch delivery using truck/trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Starting in March I will have some jobs delivering mulch, stone, etc. In the past i've used my truck to deliver small amounts to homes. The main thing that worry's me is the weight of stone and ease of delivery. Last year it weighed my chevy 1500 down quite a bit, and I was only delivering a small amount. Also, unloading the stone was enough to break your back. I've since purchased a newer 2500 3/4 ton extended cab (6ft bed) and was looking at some of the hydraulic bed lifts. I'm not sure how well this truck will hold up to the stone or if it's even worth the money for a lift. Last year I had 4 stone deliveries and 17 mulch deliveries and didn't have much trouble with the mulch. With the larger mulch deliveries I put it on my trailer. (trailer is 7x14 with 3500 lb capacity). I was wondering how you guys go about deliveries and if a bed lift is useful. Will the stone get too heavy? Should I just throw the stuff on my trailer? thanks
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have the stone dealer deliver any significant amounts. he can dump it on site.

he only charges us $25.00 for delivery. no way i can send a man, drive to the job and unload for that price.

keep in mind that a yard of stone will max out your trailer, and will be too much for your truck.

if you are getting into alot of this work, at least buy a dump truck or trailer.
  3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Makes sense... I've always went with bagged stone. Ill have to look into a local stone dealer. :dizzy:
  4. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Have them deliver it and pass on the price to the client.