Stone Patio with Gas Fire Pit

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES, Jul 15, 2009.

1. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

Wanted to post some pics of a project we have been working on the past few weeks. As you can see it is def. turning out to be a much prittier picture. we should have everything finished in about a week. the fire pit is not built just yet. it will go in tomorrow.

Before (1).jpg

during (vino).jpg

Concrete Slab (vino).jpg

weep system (1).jpg

Johns work (5).jpg

2. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

Here are a few more

vino2.jpg

vino5.jpg

vino3.jpg

vino4.jpg

Vince.jpg

3. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks nice. Just curious, why did you pour concrete, and why the major pitch on the patio?

4. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

Wet laying flag is the best method. dry laying it means that as it ages, if the customer does not maintain the joints, then it won't look good. The pitch is only 1" on 10' which is typical. it is a little stronger than that right at the door, but that was just to keep water out of that corner.

5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

The vertical work is very nice. What will the cap be? Wet laying that is a headache. I prefer larger pieces.......small tend to shift too much and you'll reset it after you set a couple next to it etc. Additionally, lots of joints and very "busy". Just an opinion, but nice work.

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

So is the flag already set and then you're doing the wall?

7. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

Thanks for the compliments

yes, the flag is set. after we finish the wall, we are going to grout everything. They can migrate some when laying them, but for the most part, if one or two don't fit just right, you just make a small adjustment to that stone.

The caps stones will be 3"-4" pieces like you see in pictures 3 and 4 in the second set. it matches the flagstone. I am still not sold on having the cap stones match the floor and not the wall, but that is what the customer faught for.

8. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

larger pieces are nice for production, but it makes it harder to mix pallets sometimes if all you have is larger pieces.

9. AztlanLC

AztlanLC LawnSite Bronze Member

10. 2low4NH

2low4NH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NH

love the super man pose. patio will look good when its done. I see a few low stones though. i prefer to set as i go when working with flag stone. looks like you lay out all of your pieces then set after.