Stone spreading opinion...

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KenH, Jan 18, 2003.

1. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

What would be a rough labor estimate to hand spread 3 yards of 3/4" stone. The maximum distance to spread it is about 15 feet. It will be for an existing driveway.

Just thought I would get some opinions.
  2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge what you what for spreading top soil. I chage my labor out for hand work to my regular customers (for extra work) @ $25.00 / hr / man plus any equipment. I charge for all equipment, excluding shovel, rake, and wheel barrel. Any new or one time customer depends on the job, but an average would be $40.00 / hr/ man.
  3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I would budget four hours. Moving stone by hand is hard work!
  4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Do you have a dump truck? If so.. open up the bottom side of the tailgate a very small amount and spread the stone with the truck. Do the fine raking by hand.
  5. gslam88

gslam88 LawnSite Member

Ken ,

AS fblandscape has stated a good dump truck driver could spread most of htis rough... and then you just have to do some clean up work... figure 1 hour should do it....

clean up work would be to rake it out by hand... but it sould not take long if the dump drops it right
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I honestly thought that this thread was about Larry Stone.:dizzy:
  7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

last month put down 15 tons(yards)....could not use a dumptruck to rough it had to be picked off the ground(in this case with a Dingo) dumped in beds and then spread by hand.

If you have no equipment help then as Daryl said above I would use 4 man hours...if done in less time fine....stone spreading is not like mulch spreading ....I do allot of both and stone is a bear
  8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

By the way...let us know how it actually goes....I wish we all would occasionally go back on a post and tell the rest of us how a job went against what we thought it would take......this kind of info would help all of us I think fact perhaps we could lobby for another forum wherein we all share PROVEN estimates on different kinds of work....not the DOllars part, but the man hours, unexpected problems, tricks with tools, etc...I think that would be quite valuable ....just a thought
  9. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

I did a job similar to this last year, and it took 1.5 hrs to spread 3 yds of #57 stone. 2 men. walking distance approx 30 ft. I hope this helps.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Might be worth it to rent a small tractor and york rake?