Stone steps installation

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tpirobert, Feb 27, 2001.

1. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

It's still winter here, so I'm working on hardscape projects. I have built stone steps, walls, etc. before, but based on material plus labor. I have'nt been able to find any good figures on estimating from previous jobs. I need to install 5 steps 3ft wide. I plan on using mortar. Does anyone have any estimates on rocks needed. Nothing fancy here, no rails or columns. Any thoughts or figures would be appreciated. I know I have to come up with my own $ figures....I just don't want to screw myself over.
    Thanks

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Are you using the tri-colored fieldstone native to your area, grip stone, or timber??

Kris

3. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

I'm not sure what kind of info you're after. Are you looking for $$ info on the cost of materials, or how much to charge the customer?

In Wisconsin limestone is plentiful and I like making steps out of big split-faced stones. Each stone is one step, about 6"x2'x4', or whatever size I want.

4. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

Yes, we're using a tri-colored stone. I pay $170 a ton for stone that is ready to lay with little splitting or working. Can get same stone in rougher form for $100 a ton, but have to spend a lot of time working.

I'm interested in how others figure their stone needs for steps as well as how you figure your pricing for your area and business on this type stone job. Yes, that was a long sentence. No, I'm not stoned. One local supplier told me to figure 35 sqft of step per ton of stone. I'm thinking that 25 sqft/ton is more realistic. So, a 1 ft by 3 ft step times 5 steps would equal 15 sq ft of step. Half a ton of rock?