stone tonage formula?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by steve in Pa., Mar 28, 2005.

1. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

I know it has probably been brought up before but I had seen a formula for figureing out stone tonage for pond installation. I am bidding out a 11 x 16 pond and need to know how much stone to bid into this. The pond will have a 10 x 3 waterfalls/stream bed dumping into it. any help would be great.

2. SONSCAPES

SONSCAPES LawnSite Member

aquascapes pondbible says for the quanity of boulders in a pond =LxW/65,quanity of gravel 1/4"-3" in pond=tons of boulders x.45,quanity of boulders for a stream=3/4ton for every 10',quanity of 1/4"-3" gravel for streams=1/2 ton per 10' of stream and approx 3/4-1 1/4 tons of boulders to build around the face of a standard biofalls system. remember this is aquascapes formula not sonscapes i'm new to this corner of the industry. :rolleyes:

3. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

those formulas will get you close, but it assumes you are using all the same size of boulders, which is boring.

Also different types of rock material will change your tonage.

Experience is your best aid. Bid your first one high and use it as your guide.

4. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc LawnSite Member

JD BOY

They figure a 1:2:1 ratio. 1 part small(6"-12") 2 parts medium(12'-18")& 1 part large(18"-24"). I have never seen an aquascape pond with the same size rocks throughout.

5. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys. I have figured out to be around 4 ton of stone. sound about right??