stone wall building ??'s

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by stickalip, Dec 21, 2004.

1. stickalip

stickalip LawnSite Member

I've been in the landscape maintance bussiness for over 20 yrs, due to lack of man power, equipment & time I can only tackle small landscape's for my accounts, so when it comes to most landscape requests I'm forced to turn them else where. I am eagar to expand my bussiness in making stone walls. One of the disadvange's is that I have never worked in that feild. I've been doing some research on the site and it has helping.

To begin I will be landscaping my own yard with some curved retaining walls(30'x3' tapering on the ends).

#1.There is an existing old stone wall in the yard, I plan on useing some of that stone and will mix with bought stone, what kind of stone would you mix to give it a natural look?? (PA stone may be??)

#2. The highest point in the wall will be about 3', how important is to use motar or cement?? Do I need it?? I do perfer the natural look.

#3. Drainage. Where in the wall should I place drainage pipes, do I even need them??

#4. I plan on digging a 15" base to fill with crushed stone. I will also use crushed stone to build the back.

I've taken some before pics and hope it'll look good enough to take after pic too.

Any tips suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks & Merry Christmas
    Tony

2. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

#1 Go to your local stone yard to match the stone.
    #2 Drystack stone on a gravel bed for landscape walls. Mortared walls require a concrete slab. Mortared walls can be made to look like drystack...don't allow the mortar to come to the exterior.
    #3 Drainage pipes for mortared walls. Free standing walls don't require any. Depending on conditions, bacfilled walls need 4" perf corex to daylite.
    #4 make sure the base is wide enough. A 3' wall needs to be 24" at the base.

Good luck

pic 1 5' mortar wall, knitted rebar inserts, 4" perf pipe to daylit 12" concrete pad
    pic 2 3' drystack, no drain

email mortar.jpg

emaildrystack.jpg

3. stickalip

Thanks Doc. I'm not familar with corex. Is that the standing material behind the wall in your first pic? sorry so many ?'s :rolleyes:

4. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

it's just the 4" black corrugated perf pipe you can pick up from Lowe's or Depot...100' for under $30

First pick shows 2' #57 packed against wall, then fill dirt compacted.
    I will be pouring an 6" slab in front of the wall, then mortaring pattern flagstone for the finish.

5. stickalip

busy summer but got the bulk of it done,

moved in 10 months ago,trees came down winter months the lanscape I need after work and weekends

before..

DSC01244.JPG

DSC01248.JPG

DSC01245.JPG

DSC01350.JPG

6. stickalip

its getting there

DSC01378.JPG

DSC01379.JPG

DSC01403.JPG

DSC01404.JPG