Stone wall construction

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by aquaturf, Sep 8, 2002.

1. aquaturf

aquaturf LawnSite Member
    from MA

I'm doing a small wall about a foot high a foot wide and 115 long, with a few slight curves and two 90-degree turns. I am figuring 100 hours with two men, including prep and clean-up. Does this number sound accurate? Also, the wall will be flat stone, each piece being about 2" in thickness and 6-12" wide, and there will be about 8 tons of stone to handle. The stone will be mortared in the back (there is only one side facing out) and finished with mortar on the top.
    Thanks for your help with this one!

2. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

Aquaturf, I've also got some small rock walls to build, which a new experience for me.. Most of the walls will be about 2' tall in different lengths. Probably for a total of 200' in length.The walls will be built out of flat stacked rock. I really don't know how to price this job. What are you charging???Are you charging by the ton, the foot, or just total hours???Thanks

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge by the face foot. Remember to include the wall area that is below grade for the base.

4. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

How much do you charge???

5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Costs vary alot from your region to mine. Look at your material cost and add for your overhead and profit. For manhours, start with figuring 1.5 face feet per manhour until you have your own production times recorded. Multiply that by your going rate per hour. Look at factors that increase time such as having to haul the rock to the backyard, digging a footer, backfilling the wall.

6. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

I figure my walls by the square foot. For a basic wall material, in an area where I can access the site with a machine, and just basic backfilling, I start with 40 per square. I add for every change they make from there. Different block, more money. Add a turn, more money. You want mulch around the wall instead of loam, more money. You get the idea. 40 dollars per square is a basic price for me. It has worked real well for me.

7. Mow&Snow

Here is a wall I finished last week. This whole walkway/wall combo cost the customer a little over 9K.

small2.jpg

8. Mow&Snow

here's another

9. Mow&Snow

oops I forgot to attach. lol

small.jpg

10. vardener

vardener LawnSite Member
    from MD 7

Mow&Snow,

That wall looks real nice. I like the stone. Is that granite? What did you put down for your base? Is the wall mortared? Can I possibly have any more questions?

Thanks