Stone Wall options and maintenance

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by collegekid, Feb 22, 2005.

1. collegekid

collegekid LawnSite Member

Hello,
    I am working on a maintenance project for class and we need to build a stone wall along a somewhat steep hillside in Upsate New York. We were wondering if you had any suggestions as to what kind of stone to use and what type of wall to build. It only needs to be 4 feet tall for most of it with a small section that needs to be 8 feet tall. I have no idea if that is enough information, but I was reading the forum and figured that you all might be able to help us.
    Thank You,
    Chelsea

2. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Chelsea, does it need to be natural stone or can you use manufactured block?

3. collegekid

collegekid LawnSite Member

We could use manufactured block, but we haven’t found any that look the way we need it to look. This wall is going to be part of a scenic overlook so we don’t want the wall to have the appearance of a modern stone wall. We were thinking that Pennsylvania Fieldstone looked like something we would like to use in a more random looking pattern than just blocks on top of each other. For the aesthetic appeal we think that natural stone looks better, but any suggestions that you can make will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You,
    Chelsea

4. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Based on the height of your wall, the only recommendation I will make is to consult with an engineer. I'm sure at school you can do this for free. Four feet doesn't sound like much, but generally speaking, that is the threshold between a reinforced retaining wall and one that isn't. Typically, a wall that crosses this threshold requires engineering. The engineering may determine what product you use to construct the wall. At this point, aesthetics are secondary to structural integrity.