Stone......wet

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tthomass, Jul 20, 2007.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Show some of the process for those who don't know.....

4.JPG

3.JPG

5.JPG

2. tthomass

from N. VA

gett'n ready for the wet stuff

2.JPG

6.JPG

1.JPG

3. tthomass

from N. VA

mov'n along......

7.JPG

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I hope you guys didn't hand mix and wheel that entire slab. My back hurts just thinking about it.

We used to call a pump truck for hard to access jobs like that. It was only $170.

When your going to wet mortar bluestone ontop, do you just rod off the concrete and run a bullfloat over it, or do you have to get it smoother?

5. tthomass

from N. VA

The two of us wheeled it from the street around back............down hill was nice. It was 3 yds. I use the trucks that mix on site.......that way if I need 2.7yds I can pay for 2.7 and not 3. I then don't have the left over .3 yds to dispose of.

*I always use fiber in my mix.

As you see it is how I let it dry. I was taught to smooth it and this and that but I don't agree. I spread with with a hard rake and get it to 'grade'. I then leave it rough on purpose. When I put my bed of mortar down to set a stone it goes into all the cracks and voids locking together MUCH better. You also increase the surface area that you are attaching to. Think of it as grabbing something with two fingers vs five.....five = stronger hold.

On larger patios I do pull out a 2x4 and drag it. Being the small distance I just eye balled this one.

6. WorkinIt

WorkinIt LawnSite Member

Where'd you get it? What do you call it?

7. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't have left that black corrugated pipe there for the roof drain. They aren't meant to have fines and solids run through them. The corrugations clog easily. That pipe is best suited for french drains. I would have replaced it with smooth schedule 20 PVC. Hate to see a clog under your new Bluestone Patio.

8. tthomass

from N. VA

All the downspouts are buried and linked together. I'm runn'n sch20 PVC from the gutter to the patio. One reason for using is the grade change.....it goes up hill before if goes back down vs 5 elbows and redoing the downspouts that had been previously buried.

9. tthomass

from N. VA

The stone is just flagstone. The wall is.......I actually don't remember. Its a pallet of dry stack stone, its what I vanier with.

Got a Luck Stone quarry close by?

10. crab

crab LawnSite Senior Member

;) it all looks like blue stone to me,flag stone is a very general term.keep it crispy cracker .