1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

stone work

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by pax3, Jan 28, 2002.

1. pax3

pax3 LawnSite Member

I need to prepare a stone area for a customer at the bottom of the stairs off of the back deck. The area is approximately 60 sqft. I'm planning on using flat stone that is about 2.5 - 3 inches thick. I will use a hammer and chisel, or the back of a brick hammer to work with the stone. His back yard is fenced in so I also have to wheelbarrow the stone in (about 150 ft from truck to the area). I was told it would take about a half ton of stone ($100).

Basically I was wondering how to price a job like this, or if there was a better way to price other than using my hourly charge, materials, mark-up etc.?

2. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Definitely need more info. I have done some stone work and know that it is very tedious and usually is not for landscapers or me. The guy that I bought my stone from was really nice and I remember him saying that he tries to get around $20sq/ft. for dry stacked Ashlar walls or flat faced walls. That is with little transport distance in the stone to worksite. Seemed to cheap for me and seemed like a hard living for a poor man.

3. pax3

pax3 LawnSite Member

The area is just very compacted dirt from the dogs running in and out of the house. Can't get grass to grow there, so I was going to dig the area out some and lay the stone down. There will be no walls. Also it doesn't need to be very elaborate, he just wants it to where the dogs will track less mud into the house.

4. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

I understand most of the situation but I am still trying to paint a picture of exactly what you're doing. Also include what you will be using as a base, how much base will be made and if you plan to fill in the joints with mortar. Seems like it could be anywhere between $5-10 sq/ft depending how much time you are going to put into it for just laying it and the base and mortar will figure along with it, then additional for transport time through yard of probably 2 hours for one ton of rock.

PS Who told you 1/2 ton, that may be pushing it a little but will be close, that is why I stay with sq/ft pricing so material is paid for and how much you use is not up to you if you do your homework on pricing it.