1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stone would be proud

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 16, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Here is my new versatile mower, rider, stander or walk behind all in one. Seat has quick removal as does sulky or you can walk behind it. Note: requires 200# to be added to front end. Got to chop off a foot of the tubing and add a plate to the steel tube so you can adjust the chain to lower it and then stand on it, or you can remove it altogether and run the sulky or just walk. Removes in about 5 seconds. Works excellent on level ground especially while plowing because it adds alot of traction. Next on my list is a different control system, something like the Toro Tbar but looks like a Hustler.

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

BTW you put your feet down on the back end of the frame there and your knees can rest against the back of the hydro fluid tank if you so desire. I'm going to level the seat alittle more too. Now, anyone know where I can get 200# worth of lead bars, preferably (4) 50# ones?
    It gives a nasty merry go round effect when doing a true zero turn! It also gives you out front deck visibility and trimability while keeping you away from obstacles.
    And you can turn next to a curb without a backwheel dropping off like with a sulky or outfront rider! Plus you don't have that third wheel streak either.
    "You can now gasp in awe of my greatness"
    -quote from Lawrence Stone
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I'd abanden this idea. 200lbs, plus your weight is a lot of extra weight.
  4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I weight 155. This puts it at 950# total I think. I have 175# on it now and it can get alittle tippy on hills and I can wheelie it on level ground if I want.
    I'm considering just mounting the seat on the sulky, you have advantages and disadvantages to both. For postage stamp lawns I'd use the regular sulky but this would work on larger areas.
  5. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

To much time on your hands? Spring will be here soon LOL
  6. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

W hat ever did happen to stone? BTW Bushhogboy good job on your creation, I hope it works well for you!
  7. snow

snow Banned

thats the rear end rider you were talking about. Does someone push from the front?

8. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

Something tells me that you'll need a permanent rider after you smash you're knees a couple times on the handles after hitting a couple of bumps or swales.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Kind of reminds me of a seesaw...or a catapult.

BRB, you never fail to amaze me. I think you should spend some time with your friends once in a while...that thing looks dangerous IMO.:dizzy:
  10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I mounted the seat on the sulky because frankly I didn't like all that weight up there either it was an obstruction to my view, awkward on hills, etc. but don't like it on the sulky very well either because it is hard on turns. Maybe I will just stick to standing :dizzy:
    I know people who have the trailing sulkies with seats on them but don't know how they do it really. It would work OK on a belt drive I guess but not on a hydro. I also thought a castering sulky would be nice but even though this is a hydro it wouldn't work great for me, I know my mower well enough to know that it would lack alittle traction. I think I will just stick to the stand on trailing sulky unless I have large areas to mow and I'll use the seat on the sulky then maybe.