1. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

how much would you charge to move and spread 8 yards of stone (small white stone) not far to move it and the customer is ordering the stone. I will be using wheel barralls, other things are not an option. 4 guys how many hours? and how much?

2. By barrow 1 man @ 1 to 1.5 yards per hours depending on distance and terrain.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You're looking at a GOOD man-hour per yard. How far does it have to go? Is this a driveway? Beds? What? Are there several areas it needs to go? Can the piles be spread out to closer proximaties when delivered? Scope out the job, and take control of the situation. Don't just let Joe Homeowner have the stuff delivered, and dropped in the drive in one big pile, if by chance there is a better way of doing it. You should've just told him YOU would have it delivered, and include everything in the price. You get a Landscaper discount,... he doesn't.

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

it takes me 45 mins to an hour to spread 5 yards of stone.

6. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

we only deal w/ stone in tonnage. no help here, sorry.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

tied, 5 ton of stone(10,000 lbs) in 45 min - an hour? with a shovel and wheelbarrow? man, if i had two guys just like you, id be rich

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the distance I was moving it to ranged from 40 to 60 feet from the pile.

But of course, I have a confusion to make... I did this to prove a point to my workers. And my back paid for it the next day. Basically, I was mad at two of my labor workers for only moving a previous pile of 5 yards in 1 1/2 hours. They claimed that they worked their butt off doing it, but I knew better.

I told them that I could move 5 yards in less time than they did. (my foreman was laughing the whole time because he knew that I could do it, and he told the workers that they are going to be in big trouble)

Which they were, I proved my point moving in less time than they did, and also caused them to work faster and harder in the future. They also learned that they can't pull a fast one by me any more.

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Just a suggestion Next time drive them to the job and tell they have x amount of time to move stone or there fired and can walk home. :) It not worth hurting the back to prove a point. once a slacker always a lazy slacker Mac.

10. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Yes and you know what they say as soon as you leave ?... anyone can work like that for an hour but I'd like to see him do it all day long. And they are right.

The post that said quote 1 yard per man hour is on the money. Depending on the circumstances, there are times when I'll quote a 1/2 yard per man hour....and I get it.