1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stonedust for Aquaterra pavers?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by sciaraffamasonry, Feb 11, 2008.

1. sciaraffamasonry

sciaraffamasonry LawnSite Member

For my 3200 sq ft driveway, I'm looking to use Unilock Aquaterra pavers. The customer is super concerned about drainage. I typically use stonedust as my bedding. Would that be the wrong way to go in this case?:confused:
  2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Stone dust is the wrong bedding for pavers period. Especially if you are trying to go for drainage. It doesnt sound like your ready for this job, but if you must than I strongly encourage you to research permeable pavement practices. Permeable pavement is more advanced than standard paving. You can try ICPI for some good toilet reading concerning these methods. As mentioned in your other post the proper methods IMO would consist of washed drainage stone with no fine s for base covered and underlaid with geotex. Then a course grade sand or pea gravel for the bedding and same for joint filler. If you are real concerned about it than you can place a drainage field under the whole thing and route it to the street drainage. This is only touching on the subject and someone will disagree with me, but standard pavers are designed to be impermeable from base up so all applicable methods do not apply to this job if you want it function correctly.
  3. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. What are the drainage issues? Can they only be solved with PICP? You need to give us Picts to better help you. I'm getting the feeling you might be setting your self up for disaster, if this is your first ICP job. In the past I used product from SS Loam & Mulch by Bolduc for PICP and a 24" base of stone was specd' followed by a setting bed of 1/8" stone along with the joints. Oh, and by the way stone dust has no place in ICP. You should know that if you are selling these types of services to clients.
  4. Paver Gangster

Paver Gangster LawnSite Member

Also, you really should have an engineer design the pavement for you. PICP base thicknesses are a tricky dance between water infiltration rates and load bearing capacity. And, if the driveway is near a basement, well, high water, clay soils, high erosion areas table etc etc you might not want to use this system.
  5. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

if you did install those on stonedust here in MA you'll be repairing it after 1 season.

A dense/sand base is the only way to install here.

Those peticular bricks also have a higher standard for install considering the nature of the groundwater recharge they provide.

Is there a reason you are using these bricks? Melrose isn't on the coast is it?.