1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stones and Mulch, Do You Weed Wack in Them?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, Jul 17, 2003.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

Where does the LCO's territory stop? My opinion has been that I'm there to cut grass and the owner can take care of what grows in his stones and mulch (unless I get paid to do them). What do you guys think?
  2. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

do what you want, but i never leave before i think everything looks good. I never usually have to go to much trouble to do so but if there are some tall weeds ill wack em down but nothing more unless asked. I just want it to look good so i get a good rep.
  3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Trimming in rock beds is a great way to break windows.
  4. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Spray it with round-up.
  5. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

I hate trimming through mulch. Always get something thrown at me.
  6. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Normally, no. But if I'm ahead or if something is bothering me, I'll nock some of them down so it looks good from the road.
  7. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

If I see some high weeds in the outer edge of a bed near the grass, I will knock it down with the Shindaiwa. I do not do any bed work unless the homeowner requests it. Then they are charged accordingly. :)
  8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I include everything that it takes to MAINTAIN their entire property in the contract.

Use pre-M, and whatever breaks through Roundup.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

My responsibility stops at the edge of the bed. If the customer desires weeding I have a guy that I set up in a gardening service who will come and do it. I've learned 2 things over the years. If you do it once they will always expect it and that "weed" that you just hacked down was actually a rare $10,000 Mongolian Ringworm plant.

I stay out of the beds.
  10. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree completely. Do it once and they complain next time you dont do it. I might ask if they want the weeds sprayed and cut next time or so. There happy with that until they get the price, usually not too much for a small area but they really hate paying anymore than they have to. The buggers!