Stones cover as much as mulch?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by kc2006, Jun 10, 2006.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Stupid question, but I've never had to deal with decorative rock before (people just don't like it around here). I was wondering if decorative rock (smaller about 1/2"-3/4") covers the same amount of area as mulch does? Or close to?

I've never been able to use the measurements for mulch (sq ftxheight / by 27) and I'm always very close with just eye balling, normally I have 1/4 of a yard or less left over, so I just eye balled what I thought it would take in mulch (thats what I thought we were doing until they decided stone) and then I added a yard and a half extra.

Could someone enlighten me about decorative stone coverage?

Price went way up when I found out they wanted stone...and a weeb barrier. I couldn't sell them on a pre-emergent :cry:
  2. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

WIth rock, you wont need as much as if you were using mulch. WIth the mulch you have to make it deeper, where as with rock it wont be as deep.

I did a job last year and it measured 6 yards. I only used 3 yards of rock. It worked out for me, cause I charged for 6 but only used just over 3.

ROck is a nightmare to work with, so I didnt feel bad about the overbid.
  3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Alright, that's what I was starting to think, rock only has to basicly cover the ground so it shouldn't be bad.

I've worked with just gravel before for rough areas (drives and such) so I know it's a pita, I charged well for it so it doesn't bother me.
  4. Inman's lawn care

Inman's lawn care LawnSite Member

I much rather use Mulch then rock. Rock = more back pain.
    Something I learned is make sure you have a nice clean flat surface in the lanscaped areas when laying rock. Pits and voids can be a very costly and pain in the back side. I agree if your surface is prepaired properly you will not use as much rock vs Mulch.

Also make sure you get the black weed barrier paper. It will not show mistakes as much as the cheap azz white weed barrier.
    I buy my weed barrier in large rolls of 1000 feet at a time saves money.
    plus i never have to worry if i dont have enough to put down. Made that mistake once.