1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stonewall Pre-emerge?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ArchiesLawns, Feb 25, 2007.

1. ArchiesLawns

ArchiesLawns LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Has anyone ever used the Combination of Stonewall with Fertilizer? I was looking at 16-2-16 50% SCU w/ 1% FE. I sprayed Stonewall WDG on the first round and was wanting to add a fert with the second round. We do split apps and we will be starting round 2 in about 2 weeks.

Also, has anyone ever done split apps with 2 different pre-emerges? Like I said I sprayed Stonewall Wdg 1st round and was wondering what would happen if you used Dimension on fert on 2nd round.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the input
  2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been considering the same thing. Stonewall first round and Dimension on second, but I have not heard any feedback from anyone doing this.
  3. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

Many people get good results from applying the full rate of the prodiamine on round 1.
    You could save a lot of money on round 2 by using straight fertiziler instead of a combo product.
    You'll spend more on round 1, but the overall cost for the year will be less.

I have used pendimethalin on round 1 followed by prodiamine on round 2 in the past and felt the control was good.
  4. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

Last year I used pre-m round one and dimension with my customers who got the Pre-M early.. I had a lot fewer crabgrass complaints last year, but we also didnt have a big drought so the lawns were pretty healthy all year.
  5. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

I like stonewall because of it's long half life/persistance in the soil. Depending on the app. rate you will get 4 months control or longer.

I do a split app and use a product like pre-m or dimension on the 1st app. and will get a solid 6 weeks of control...here late april until june. (product down by mid april) I get the stonewall 2nd app. down before mid may so it's activated by water by june 1st and ready for the duration of the summer into the fall.

Here it's common for some odd heavy rainfall late july and those years many here take a late massave crabgrass hit, because they used a product that did not last long enough.

Here's the down side of a pre that last long is you can't get seed up in the fall.... Here the best time to overseed is last week Aug-Late Sept. and it can get tricky.

Knowing you would do a fall seeding, count backwards 3 months from the seeding date and use Dimension which lasts 2 - 2.5 months. Use the long lasting product for app 1 insted.

Learn the half-life of the product and remember it will be shorter in the "hot spots" near drives and walks because the warmer soil has higher soil microbe activity, and that is what breaks down the pre's

Say no to crabgrass,

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

For warm season turf, this is dead on the money.

Spray Round 1 with all of your Prodiamine, then just go with straight fert the rest of the Spring and Summer. Warm season is dormant during this round 1, so no fert is needed.

Keep in mind that with warm season turf, we don't seed. Therefore if we have residual preemergent left going into the Fall, that is a good thing.

With cool season turf, we do need fert for Round 1 so the plan is somewhat different. We want our preemergent to be gone by Sep 1 for seeding.

The point earlier about doing split apps with two different products is interesting. Never really thought about it, but if you are doing split apps with Prodiamine and Dimension it pushes a good argument. Dimension being applied as the second app has some post control, which is good if you are little late in the timing window. Fact of the matter is in my area Dimension is more costly that Prodiamine. I suppose it all depends on your vendors and locale.
  7. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I was just reading in lesco news flyer today about splitting apps with two different products such as pre-m for the first and stonewall or dimension on the second. sounds really interesting. willie
  8. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

I thought about barricade app 1 then atrazine app 2 on commercial property
    with bad weeds. The problem is i need fert in app 2 and the combo fert
    and atrazine will be high priced. The post with dimension i find questionable because if apply
    as a post the rates are really high, higher than the rate as a preemergent?

THANKS! Turfunlimited
  9. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

When are you doing Round 2? What type turf? You might want to rethink atrazine after barricade. What are your problem weeds?
  10. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

In april round 2, St. Aug,Centi,Bermuda,Zoysia. Broadleaf weeds trying
    figure if the expense of preemergent with fert will save me in labor time
    later. I want use this on all accounts just new ones with bad weed problems.