Stonewall

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clallen03, Sep 25, 2007.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

How much AI are you'll putting down for you'll fall application. I got some pretty sound advice from a local company, but Im just wonder what you'll philosophy is on the subject.

Stonewall has a 1.5 lbs per acre per year restriction. So Im just wondering how you'll break this up through the year. Too much in the spring and you meet your maximum and wont be able to treat in the fall. Too little in the spring and you will be spot spraying like crazy all summer.

Just trying to get a feel for what everyone thinks about the subject of pre- emergents.

Thanks

2. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

another train of thought is to use two different preemergents at fall and spring time, like dithiopyr and prodiamine

3. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting concept, but . . . I have to ask, why? Woudn't that be like starting over for each app? Wouldn't split apps of the same product give you a longer lasting effect? I've been using Barricade with split app for the last 3 years (Sept and Dec) and get year long control.

Wanted (needed?) to rotate out this year so I did my Sept app with Dimension. Wondering what to do this winter! Dimension again? Back to Barricade?

4. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

1.0 AI in the late Winter and then 0.5 AI in late Summer has worked well for my program.

5. clallen03

Turf unlimited,

Thats what I normally do also but with the weather we have had this year my pre-emergents must have broke down a lot sooner then I expected. I was spot spraying like never before this year.

Did anyone else have this same problem?

6. ThreeWide

Actually this year was quite opposite for me due to the lack of rainfall. The preemergent held longer than usual.

You might see breakthrough with customers who irrigate too often. I've had a few like that.

If your problem was more widespread, perhaps you may not have applied the full 1 pound of AI. Calibrations are critical whether you are spreading or spraying Stonewall.

7. clallen03

If you use lesco spreaders, what number do you set yours on for 0.5 AI. I know it can vary from person to person based on walking speed and other factor. Just trying to get a fill if Im in the right range or not.

16 is the setting for me when Im shooting for 0.5 AI. Where is yours set?

8. ThreeWide

I think therein may be clues to any problems you might have.

Remember that applying 0.5 AI depends on what product you are using. Lesco sells 0.43% and 0.29% Stonewall for example. Each of these would be applied at a different rate to get your target AI. The spreader settings listed on the bag are close, but not always on the money due to many factors. You have to adjust the setting according to your walk speed and spreader output. They are not all exactly the same.

9. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

maybe my post was a bit to vague:)

i meant some people hit turf in the fall with a full app of dimension, then in the spring apply a full rate of barricade!
    i have never tried split apps, i have read articles that are both for and against split apps, both make good points

10. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

TU,

I had a few this year too, usually newer customers that I haven't trained yet to let me handle the irrigation controller :).