Stood my ground

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dennis Spencer, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Dennis Spencer

Dennis Spencer LawnSite Member

Did a estimate for a install that a customer referred . Gave the price then he ask if i could do any better. I told him that's my price then he said but Sam said he paid ???? . I TOLD HIM that was in 2005. and have good even .Did
    not look back.
  2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Should of said Sam's' price would be X% higher today also. So what do you want to do?
  3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Tell him to call you back three years ago, and maybe you can deal.
  4. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Send him a copy of Back to the Future-2005 special edition
  5. Ferti-man

Ferti-man LawnSite Senior Member

Good to stand your ground on price, I do as well. But, a little more discussion may have landed you the job. You need to "educate" the customer sometimes. this Lose / Lose deal could have been a win / win. But I was not there so, you may have done all you could within the situation of the moment.
  6. Dennis Spencer

Dennis Spencer LawnSite Member

I did some explaining about head to head coverage . also he wanted just the front only so i tried to educate about built in cost. Plumber, backflow (RP required), controller.
  7. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

when stuff like that happens to me, I just say:

"My prices are my prices, my price is not sam's minus $2 to get the job. If you want quality and dependability then you have the right guy. But if you're looking to save a buck while compromising quality, I am not your guy"

well thats not what I exactly say, but you get the idea.
  8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, but I also think you might have gotten the sale if you explain to the potential why they should pay you more.
  9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I can hear Tom Petty singing
  10. More money is made by walking away from jobs than taking them sometimes. Once you go down the road of being defined by price it is very hard to get back on message. If a customer is price oriented then a lot of gas can be wasted educating etc, etc. I can usually tell within 5 minutes what a customers core buying motivation is. Fortunately my referral base of 28 years is about service and knowledge and they tend to have friends similar to them. Would never had that if my MO was to waste time with price negotiators.