1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Stoopid ? on sod....

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Whitey4, Mar 29, 2008.

1. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

What does the average skid of a standard 600 sq ft pallet of sod weigh? I have a job that needs one skid... and a small trailer rated at 1000 lbs. The skid will fit, but I don't know about the wieght. I can save some $ if I can haul it myself. TIA....
  2. Mark Bogart

Mark Bogart LawnSite Member

Depending on moisture content a pallet of sod weighs over a ton.
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

If your trailer can hold the weight and you can take back roads, you might be ok.
    If you have to take the highway then you might want to put the transportation responsibility on someone else. Twice the load count is quite a bit.
  4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Lightest weight would be a ton for sod, in the middle of summer, 55yd pallet. I used to run a forklift at local sod farm, sometimes during the wet times, weight was closer to 2 tons. We used to have homeowners insist that we load these little boat trailers, the ones with tires about the size of wheelbarrow tires, they would bolt a 4 x 4 plywood deck on it, we would take bets on how far down the road they would get, and what would break first! Had one landscaper in his badass '75 ford F100 4x4 with the big tires, lift kit, and something original like badass spelled out in decals on the rear window, INSIST that I load him first, and put 3 pallets of sod on his single axle 12' landscape trailer, with the ramp gate on the back. I asked him to remove the gate, so I could push them on, and his reply was to say I just put a new axle under this thing, you can't hurt it! So, I revved up the late 60's 2444 international forklift (approx weight empty 8-10K lbs), drove up the ramp, bent it, pushed down the rear of the trailer, bent the new axle, lifted the ass end of his badass truck up about as high as a giraffe's nuts, slammed the pallet down on the back of the trailer, and innocently asked " Is that on far enough?" My boss was trying hard not to laugh, but there was nothing he could do, anyway, as he had just signed the sales ticket that starts out "not responsible for damages...:hammerhead::hammerhead:
  5. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know thw actual weight but i just did a sod job about a month ago and put a
    400sq ft pallot on my single axle trailer and it's rated for 1,500 pounds and that pallot made the tires touch the fenders! I had to take 200 squares and put them in the back of my F250 so i could just move the trailer...Hope this helps some.. If not i know the owner where i get my sod..I can ask him how much a 500 weighs.....P.S. we only can get 400 or 500sqft pallots where im at
  6. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

You just made my day!!! I live in the heart of "You can't hurt it" land. You should see some of the rigs running around here.

I didn't even know they made trailers with those bicycle tires on them but there is a husband/wife crew with a timecutter and a ryobi trimmer and some bp blower that looks like it is too small to even be a bp blower but it is one and they have a big ole F150 with this rickity old trailer.

I could see them going to the sod yard telling them to load her up.

p.s. don't do it Whitey let them deliver it.
  7. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the replies... actually, this trailer is rated for 1820 lbs... and a ton is 2000. Being that it is spring... I guess the safe approach is delivery. If the pallet weighed a ton, I would off load some sod into the pickup, but if it comes in at two tons, it aint gonna werk. I like to spell work werk when I ask stoopid questions.... just seems appropriate.

Thank you for saving my axle. :rolleyes: I aint one of those :weightlifter: "you can't hurt this" guys!
  8. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Yea, have it brought in. I did a job last fall (Two tractor/trailer loads) and needed one pallet to finish up. The Chevy carried it OK but she was pushed down a little. I'd guess the pallet would weight about 2400-2500lbs.