1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

stop aerating when??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Apr 21, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

been doing a bit of reading on aeration...one of the articles I read touted the benefits of even doing it more than twice a year. I always assumed spring and fall...period...but this artilce says you can do it in mid summer to help with moisture absorbtion..what do you TurfExperts think?...thanks
  2. I do it any time the ground is not frozen or as long as it is not extremly hot and dry. Aerating a heat stressed lawn can cause the same problems as mowing one.
    Here I aerate March through June and Sept. through Nov. but I usually don't get calls in mid summer, or when I do it's 1st a lack of watering more than a compaction problem.
    I do have 4 customers that aerate 3X per year but I'm still working on getting a bigger % to go 2X per year so havent worked on selling mid season.
  3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

But here is my opinon. I aerate in the fall as there is less chance of weed and crabgrass germination from the soil disturbance when compaired to areating in the spring. Although I do see some guys aerating in the spring.

As far as aerating in the summer to allow for better water penetration, I believe that it will also speed up evaporation due to the added air circulation, which tends to be HOT air in the summer. This will dry out the first 3 inches of the soil faster.

I go for the fall when seeding and fertilizing.

4. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

I aerate in spring and fall. Fall is the best time of the year to aerate. I will aerate turf in summer only if that turf is irregated. I am concerned that turf will dry-out in summer if not irregated, but it is also very difficult to aerate comapcted soil that does not have adequate soil moisture.

5. kbcjlc

kbcjlc LawnSite Member

Aerate cool season in the early Fall or late Spring. Aerate warm season in May or June.

6. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

Aerating in the fall is best, spring time if needed. OSU has done some research about aerating and what it does to pre emergent efficacy. There is no decisive decision as to whether aerating does in fact break the chemical barrier that is created on the surface of the soil.

If you're going to aerate in the spring and if you're concerned about crabgrass, I would either aerate before you put down your pre emergent or wait about 6 weeks and aerate mid to late May after the crab grass seedlings have germinated and the pre emergent has taken care of them. By summer time you'll be doing post emergent applications anyways.

We aerate twice a year, spring and fall. Typically in May and again in September. It only takes us about one to two weeks to get through our schedule. If we have creeping bent lawns that are having disease problems mid summer due to rain/irrigation, we may aerate again in an effort to dry the lawns out.