Stop messing up my customer lawns with your crappy mower!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Driving by a customer lawn yesterday that I'll be servicing later today... the neighbors took their crappy 21" mower and came over onto the lawn, it looks friggin horrible and they cut like 4 strips randomly into the lawn like they were drunk or something. Its scalped low and clumpy. Its not straight along the property, its straight INTO the property. I'll take a pic if I get the chance. This kind of stuff pisses me off. I thought of mailing the neighbor a letter something like this:

Dear Resident:

You are receiving this letter in regards to a lot we service. This particular lot, 57 Brandywine Ct, has been damaged. We arrived Wednesday, August 3rd, 2005 to provide our mowing service and found sections of the lot near Rt. 7 scalped with dead grass lying in sections. All of our customers receive a cut at a fixed height throughout the entire lawn to maintain a professional look. A striping process is also involved with this. Scalping and grass remains left on the lawn will cause sections to die. We ask for your consideration in the future.

This ever happen to you guys? Is the letter harsh or does this look ok?
    These people are fairly new residents. They must have moved in from a neglected neighborhood and brought some bad habits with them.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We appreciate your consideration for the future on this matter. Or, you could always just say CEASE ans DESIST!

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's not your lawn so you have no right to send them anything. Mention it to your homeowner and take a picture for your records in case anything is ever said about it.

I have a feeling that your homeowner will say something like "well, yeah, whatever."

4. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

Show the homeowner and let them worry about. If you are not getting paid to write the letter, then move on. Remember that grass grows, even in scalped areas.

Another option is to expain to the homeowner what happen and how to restore the area. The neighbor may have just set you up for some extra work to make some money on.

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I have the same thing although it is a stupid LCO that cuts next to mine. They are cutting 2 inches lower than recommended. It is a small lot and they use a 48" mower and around the clients hose real there is only 24" of her property before my clients.

You guessed it. A quick pass digging to dirt on my clients side.

I mentioned it to my client and showed them. They showed the neighbor who told their LCO not to do it. Then strangely the next week there was a huge 8x12 area of dead (round-up) grass on my clients side.

Some people.

The stupid LCO is now not mowing the neighbor. My client gently said pay my guy to fix this or we will have problems. So this weekend I got to dig up the area and resod. hardly worth the time, but it made my client feel good and made the neighbor pay and take responsibility.

Moral: watch out for reprisals.

6. Eddie B

from gone

The red line marks the property line, this is before we did the cut. They didn't even finish cutting their own lawn, they just did the strip. I guess i'll discuss the letter with the homeowner before sending it.

7. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

From the looks of there property no one will say anything to you.

8. Eddie B

from gone

Are you out of your mind? Construction has affected the lawn quite a bit, but with the lack of rain here, the lawn is gonna die. You're looking at 2 weeks of growth there.

They are getting ready to expand this highway, and with the construction and all, they sweep the dirt off of the streets and into the lawn. They have dug sections and ran electric for the new traffic lights as well... pita

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I am sure I will be badgered for sayin this but, you guys that say "let the homeowner worry about it" and how it is not your problem, keep in mind that some have a cense of pride in our work. If it were me, I would put a letter in the neighbors door saying exactly what you said in your first post. That is really unacceptable IMO and something needs to be said to the homeowner and the neighbor.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Why would you want to get involved in something between the property owner and their neighbor????! If your customer has a problem with, they would handle it.
    And if they haven't done or said anything about it, then they obviously don't have as much of a problem with it as you do.

I know I'd have something to say to my neighbor if he did this to my lawn!!! But that's my business, not really my lawn guys.

Bring it to your customers attention, and you will have done more then enough.