Stop mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LCME, Sep 22, 2004.

1. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

One of my weekly customers called me yesterday. He said, stop mowing the grass is done growing. I can handle it now. How much do I owe. He is mailing last payment. I asked about fall clean-up and he said no thanks. Oh well more free time for me. :blob3: I have a feeling he will call me in a couple of weeks to mow again. Maybe I will call him back and ask if he wants every other week cuttings?

Also, another weekly customer called yesterday. Asked me not to cut tomorrow. Because the grass is not long enough so wait a few more days.

Am I doing something wrong here? Should I be telling the customers I will cut but less often because the grass is growing slower now? ;)

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i have a few of those "summer only" accounts. no big deal. i more the make up the money between leaves and thatching, and planting, and seeding, etc.

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

the only thing you are doing wrong is being a mow only company (if thats what you are)

expand your bidness so that these types on things dont affect your bottom line!

4. LCME

LCME LawnSite Senior Member

Norm, I have passed out to my current customers and others my "other services we provide are". Mowing, trimming, edging, Hedge trimming, tree trimming, clean-ups, mulch delivery and install, gutter clean, lite landscape, bed maintenance, bed edging install, aeration, over seed, thatch, fertilize, lite power wash, etc. Thanks for asking, LCME

5. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

reading comprehension is a beautiful thing!

based on your reply you arent doing anything wrong that i can see! your losses of these accounts are a normal occurance that happens to all companys that do residential work!

6. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

ya i hear ya u did nothing wrong.. i had 2 customer's this wekend that they were dont for the year.. i was like ya ok i will hear from u in 2 weeks lol.. i also had this PITA customer ask me 4 weeks ago.. you think the grass is done.. All i did was laugh at him ... but keep up the good work shi* happens :drinkup:

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't worry about it. I have a couple of accounts like that, I'm expecting a call from them any day now to tell me to stop mowing. Thye do it every year. But, they like my service and are some of my best payers, so I really don't care.

8. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

Newbie Here.

You did nothing wrong as far as I can see. Some people are just funny like that. In the fall, I tend to put my customers on an every other week basis when the grass slows down. Plus it helps relieve all the leaf clean-up work that has to be done. If I mow everyone every week during the fall I could never keep up. One man operation here. 40 yards a week. 15 years in the trade.

9. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Sooner or later you have to stop but last week I had a lady tell me the same thing. I simply told here that it was still growing and I would be back in a week and would be happy to measure it. I took out my measuring tape and measured the grass (where it grows the best on her lawn) and said that when I come back if I can take of at least 1/3 of the growth and have it equal what I just measured, it should still be cut. She was baffled...gave me one of those Al Franken scrunched up looks and said, "Whatever."

I left here with the thought that it's better to keep cutting now as opposed to have it long and laying over during the winter. Ever see winter grass mold? Nasty stuff.