Stop Thieves?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EvenYourOdds, Apr 22, 2006.

1. EvenYourOdds

EvenYourOdds LawnSite Member

Anyone have any good ideas on how to keep a mower from getting stolen? Bought a cub cadet last year and at the end of the mowing season they cut the (supposedly non cuttable) chain, and rolled it right out the yard.

Is there something that you can buy to put on the tire(s) like a boot, so someone couldn't push it?

Any ideas would be helpful, because I know they will be looking this year to see what I have bought.

2. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

if you want to make shure it comes back to you if it gets ripped...install a bomarang

3. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

hahahahaha,:laugh: boomerangs only come back if the wind is just right and you pay well.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Chain a big mean guard dog to it.

5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

for the more expensive stuff, install a GPS tag(not kidding) to it, they cost around $150 for the tag and about $10/month in service. other than that, a motion sensative video camera with infrared night vision and a security system.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I leave the mower on the trailer and back the trailer up against a tree with the truck hitched.
    You can also padlock the trailer latches on the gate but the tree is good enough, I keep the latch lock option for when I'm in the field.
    My trailer's hitch where the pin goes through has a padlock through it as well, so unhooking the trailer is a task and then to move it out of the way of truck and tree would be a royal pain as well.

It won't stop someone that's absolutely driven to get my machine as 3-4 strong guys could likely lift the whole mower over the side but it does stop the opportunist and it slows everyone down who would even think about it. My trailer does have 2-foot high steel sides and tree branches overhang the whole thing.

I suppose one could even bring a large piece of plywood and attempt to use that as a ramp to drive the mower over the sides as well, but again it's a royal pain and it slows them down, at least makes them think twice.

You can get a fake motion-sensitive camera for around 10-15 dollars... Install several of these and you need to hook up some wiring to it to make it look right and keep the batteries fresh so it operates (it's a blind camera, but it still moves and tracks), that makes folks think twice also.

7. kipper

kipper LawnSite Member

Just some thought's:

Always disconnect the trailer from the truck and move forward about eight inches and install tongue lock on the trailer. If you leave the truck hooked to the trailer all the thief has to do is steal your truck and he has everything. If you do as i mentioned he has to be able to move the truck and break the tongue lock off. Just a little more complicated thats all !!!!!

Little things like backing up to a tree or wall always help.

I have a stick to wege in the wheels so that you have to move the mower first to get it out. Little booby traps work wonder in slowing down a thief who is scared of getting nailed.

Just some thoughts !!!!

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It cut me off before I could post the link to some of this fakecam stuff:
    http://www.prankplace.com/fakecam.htm?KBID=1892

Disregard that this place sells them intended for pranks, see for yourself what they look like.
    Oh and p.s.: If you do order some and put them up, tell NOBODY they're not real, not even the wife or husband or s.o... sorry, but no.

If you really want to have fun, take a pic with a digicam from the camera's angle and then when someone questions the scenario, take them to your computer and 'load' some stuff and there goes the pic of some days ago when it was tracking, see... Current tracks take a few hours to process, you don't have time to do it because it's only necessary in case something happens, otherwise the cam discards the pics and so...

9. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

I don't chain my dog to the machines lol, but his house is on the side of my driveway. Last year two people in my neighborhood had things like backpacks and trimmers stolen out of their sheds, and one shed was locked. My mowing trailer is parked outside every night with 3 trimmers and 3 backpack blowers on racks not locked up. I really believe my rotti is the reason i have never had anything stolen you should consider getting a big dog that can live outside.

10. jmurphy

jmurphy LawnSite Senior Member

This wont keep it from getting stolen but it will help you get it back. Paint in a unusual color (hot pink or orange) a spot on the mower, like the hydro sticks or the front forks. This will help you identify the mower if you happen to come across the mower.