Stopping Bamboo from Growing in a Certain Area

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by KevinACrider, Jun 6, 2008.

1. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

The diagram attached here shows the back yard. The red section is where a lot of 15' - 20' tall bamboo is growing and has been growing for 6 years. The blue color is where the customer is planing to build a patio.

Would I be safe if I trench 2' or 3' down right in front of the bamboo line and fill it with cement? It would give me a great base for privacy wall as well.

Also, if I dig out about 12" down where the patio will go and fill that with a 6" slab of concrete and then put the pavers on top of the concrete base, will that prevent future bamboo from poking through the patio?

bamboodiagram.jpg

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

more like 4-10 feet depending on type, you'll also need to put a steel sheet on the bamboo side of the wall because the bamboo (depending on variety) will most defiantly crack the concrete and continue on its merry way to world domination.

3. KevinACrider

I'm not exactly trying to remove it completely, but more or less trying to protect the wall and the patio. I though bamboo would only go underneath concrete, not through it?

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Bamboo roots are agresive, and ya, they aid in the destruction of concrete.

Look on-line, there are a few companies out there that make rhizome barriers for bamboo. I think some of them go down to 8 inches.

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I tried cleaning out a simple Japanese Lilac type of bamboo last year and I was still finding roots 2 feet down. It was already growing on the upper terrace 2 railroad ties high.
    Will a 3' deep foundation keep your bamboo from spreading underneath and popping up on the other side? Don't bet on it.

6. KevinACrider

The other side is right up against the house. Some of the roots have been pulled up and they only go 2 inches deep.

7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on the variety of bamboo too. If you found roots that were pretty shallow then a barrier should work.

Some bamboos clump, and some make a tuburous rhizome that can easily be managed. If a rhizome barrier doesn't work, then I would say nothing will.

8. KevinACrider

I will give it a try. I'll just have to make sure the customer understands it's a maybe/maybe not situation.

9. Hortus

Hortus LawnSite Member

Here's an article that explains it better than I could; http://www.midatlanticbamboo.com/bamboo-info/bamboo-contain.htm

I've used rigid plastic and also fiberglass sheets. These have provided excellent results in containment for either clumping or the more evasive spreading type and much to the specs laid out in the article.

The 3' depth I wouldn't go less on and depending on the surrounding utilities, a trencher would be the way to go, as well as providing a type of root-pruning. If sprouts spring up past the barrier, you'd know it was a young plant and easily controlled by mechanical/chemical means. The tilting of the upper portion of the barrier does help allot in keeping out the rhizomes. Good luck.