Stopping Rust

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

What is the best way to prevent rust? What is the correct way to clean a mower deck off? I've always used putty knives and end up scraping paint off. Now I have a rust problem. I just want to prevent the problem with future mowers I buy. Thanks for the help.

2. steve225

steve225 LawnSite Member

Amsoil makes a good one , por -30 I think it's called. Than paint

3. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

Are you talking about the bottom of the deck? If so, I know what you mean. I scrape at the end of every week when I change my blades and then oil the s*&^ out of it with spray oil that I get at the local hardware store. I am considering pulling the deck in the fall and painting it but I think it's a real hassle. Look, let's face it, sooner or later it's gonna rust. Trust try to outrun it with good sound maintenance and cleaning.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

My mowers are too busy to collect any rust underneath during the season. But if I know one is going to be down a while or when prepping for winter storage I protect them. I don't like the rust, but I hate the rough surface it creates even more.

Here's what to do.... use something softer than a metal putty knife. Then otherwise treat it as you would a tactical firearm. Clean it good and spray it with some good mil-spec gun protector. There are several of those. Remmington Dry Lube is another good one. I use that on all blade surfaces, except around the center hole. Keeps the stored blades from rusting up those nice sharp edges..... and it's not oily/greasy and does not collect dust.

[​IMG]

5. sunturf

sunturf LawnSite Member

we use some stuff around here called prolube..its actually a thin film of oil that bonds to whatever you spray it on and it displaces water. usually lasts about a month or so before it needs sprayin again

6. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

7. Hollis Maintenance

Hollis Maintenance LawnSite Member

Maybe a nice car window scraper.....

8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I cant remeber the name of this product but you can find it at most auto parts stores(carquest- napa). I think its made by 3M, you spray it over light rust and it seals it and will turn it black, we had good luck with this product and it really slows down or stops rust.

9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

The only REAL way to stop rust when its already there is to sandblast it or grind it off until the metal is clean. All the miricale paints won't do it. Even por15 (paint over rust) its like 50 bucks a quart, really good stuff that is almost like powdercoating strong when its dry, almost everyone that rebuilds cars uses this stuff, it is by far the best you can get but, it still isn't going to stop it. I did as it said and just sanded the rust real quick to get flakes off and then painted over it on my floor boards in my car, next year i pulled the carpet and the floor is junk now.

My advise is to sandblast it then use this por15 a few good coats and it will be thick as heck or just start spraying it down with pb blast, wd40 or oil.