Storage box

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by deinck, Mar 21, 2001.

1. deinck

deinck LawnSite Member

Hi Guys
    Iam looking for a storage box to mount on the front of my trailer to put weedwacker & stick edger etc. in has to be 72in long &20in wide &20 in deep. Anybody have any suggestions would sure appreciate it.
    Dave Einck
    Pro-Cut Lawn & Hydroseeding Service

2. One of those plastic tool boxes that fit on the floor in the bed of a full size pickup will do the trick.

Or if you have big bucks you could go alum.

3. deinck

deinck LawnSite Member

Hi Stone
    Looked at those plastic boxes but they are not long enough the longest I could find is 60in anymore suggestion. Thanks
    Dave Einck
    Pro-Cut Lawn&Hydroseeding Service

4. SummitFarmer

SummitFarmer LawnSite Member

I think it was Kutnkru that had a mesh box fabricated for his trailer that he could lock and held all that stuff. I think that would be the route I would look at. Surely some angle iron and mesh wouldn't be that expensive.

5. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

May seem cheap, but why not make a plywood box and hinge it ?

I made a box on my trailer for my trimmer--the engine goes in the box and there is a notch for the shaft to stick out of (I have a hook for the other end of the trimmer to hang horizontally). The box has a hinged lid with a hasp---it locks it and keeps it dry. the box is only 14"x14" with a cut on one side for the shaft.

jeffyr

6. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

When I bought my 20' open trailer it had a tool box mounted to it, would do what you want-held one trimmer, blower, & misc stuff. Was the type that contractors use they mount on top the bed rails, avaliable in either 6 or 8 ft. Very secure not cheap I think around $ 300, but weather tight.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I had a steel box with mesh floor made for the front when I had my trailer made. Works great,its as wide as the trailer and holds a lot of stuff. I put a peice of plywood in the bottom to cover up most of the mesh. I would use Alum. next time, lighter in weight. Its mounted with legs on top of the side rails, bottom is about 30" above trailer floor.

Gene

8. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, I have those on our trailers. We used the 3/16 angle iron and 1/4 mesh grating. Weld on a latch for a lock and you are in business.

I wouldnt recommend it for long term storage, because of the exposure to the elements. I have found it to be nice because I can walk away from the truck and not have to worry about someone bending a string trimmer or stick edger as they walk by to be a smart@ss!

One hint or piece of advice would be for you to take a measurement for the height of your hand-held blower, and your water cooler etc. Then just make sure that its tall enough to compensate for the items.

Good Luck this season!

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Why dont you just build it.That way you get exactly what you need.

10. sgreanbean

sgreanbean LawnSite Member
    from cal

i just had my trailer at the welding shop for an estimate on one of these boxes. $375-400 is what it would cost to have a 2'by 2'by 72" box thats 2' off the tralier installed, painted with locks