Storage Cage on Open Trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Blessed 1, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Just sold my Ranger and having to pull my 6x12 open trailer with my Expedition. I am now having to build a storage box on the front of my trailer for my BP Blower,hedge trimmers. shred n vac ect. My tailer has 30" mesh side walls. My question is which is preffered building the cage to hang fwd of the front or on legs from the front towards the back (giving up 2 feet of inside space above the rails) still enough space to put mowers under.

2. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I would be cautious of putting forward of the rails, cause if your tongue is short you will clip the corners of your expedition or pick up / dump....

Just put it up high enough to clear your equipment that wiill need to go under it... Check out buyers.. they have a ready made box for this type of application...

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

What is buyers?

MATT

4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

5. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

Im building a storage box for all my handhelds and stuff at school in my metals 3 class. I have enough room to put it over the tongue. If you dont you could put it on the indside, I was going to do this this and have it up in the air so i still could fit my mowers under it but decided I didnt want it up so high that i couldnt see into it.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I found that tool box on buyers, but they did not have a price. Does anyone know how much it cost?

MATT

7. Barker's Lawn Care

Barker's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

blessed 1, be careful just to let u kno, u will lose your rear visibility and watch you tongue weight because with all that equip. i'd recomend about a 700 lb. tongue wieght hitch. TAKE NOTE, what will the weight be without the equip. behind the axle,(this will greatly increase the tongue weight and make it unbalenced)if u kno what i mean!?????

just my 2 pennies, i've had one before and they are very useful

8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I say any guy that has a LCO should own a small wire welder and a metal chop saw . you can build all your own stuff plus do your own repairs . and they are vary easy to use

9. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

I agree with what HarryD said everyone in this biz should know and have a good welder, I have and old arc welder, a small hobart wire feed welder, and an oxy. act. tanks so i can make ay repairs or make projects from pretty much nothing.

10. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

If you have a comunity college you can take a class, and have access to lots of nice welders and equipment. Then you will know the teacher and students, and have access to welders if you do need to do repairs in the future.