Storage for Equipment?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jbone, Mar 29, 2006.

1. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

Just starting out in the business. Im asembling equipment but came up with quite a problem. I have no place to store it overnight or during the off season. I dont have enough room where I live, and cant really afford to open any type of shop or garage. Any suggestions on a cheap secure place to stor equipment? Hopefully something with water to clean equipment.

2. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the same problem but I have no more storage room. I'm going to build a shed custom fit for mowers.

3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Use a self storage unit. I can fit all my equipment in a 10 X 20 (with little room to spare), It is on a gated property, secured by an alarm, 24 hour access (no water, but it does have electricity), for a whopping $115 bucks a month. The way to go unless you can store it in your garage. Whatever you do, make sure it is very secure, or you won't be in biz long.....

4. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a great idea, does all the gas need to be outof the tanks before you can store it in self storage?

5. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

self storage is a good idea but I also need aplace for my trailer

6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

local farmer, or a friend with room?

7. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q LawnSite Senior Member

i live in a condo complex so i have the same problem. I sold the open trailer and bought a enclosed trailer. Its more money but the security is priceless and in my case i know have a way to tow the motorcycle to different places if needed.

8. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

How big is your trailer? I have a 10 x 20 storage unit. It holds a 5 x 8 trailer, 1 large WB, 2 small wbs, and all my tools, etc. They don't care about the gas in the cans. They rent out units up to 10 x 30. You may also consider indoor storage at a warehouse, or even outdoor storage(I wouldn't recommend that, it is hell on your equip.) Wherever you store it, just be sure it is secure.