storage of chemicals

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Jan 8, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

do products go bad over the winter if stored in a garage (average 45 degrees, maybe get down to 10 degrees at the most)?

fungicides or insecticide?

I didn't think they would, but someone the other day said something about the chemicals breaking down and had me worried about my inventory.

2. mrkosar

from Ohio

what about seed?

3. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

When in doubt, check the labels under "Storage"

I know some herbicides are damaged by freezing temperatures.

Your seed should be fine. Just make sure it stays dry (and keep the vermin out of it).

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Freezing can definitely affect them. I have had 3 way freeze up before, and it was fine the next season, but that was only my experience. The seed should be alright.

5. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I've only had problems before with some additives such as spreader/sticker and acidifiers, other than that most herbicides in the amine forms with settle out but with aggitation will mix back together. Best to read the label on most of your heribicde or fungicide products. Grass seed is fine, but as TurfPro stated, be sure to store seed where critters aren't foraging or you'll have holes throughout your seed bags and more mouse turds to spread than grass seed! LOL

6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

as long as the liquid chemical will resuspend (if seperated) i would think it's ok, i store all my chemicals in a non-heated storage unit, gets to about 25, and thats only if the outside temp gets below freezing for over two weeks. as far as dry products, keep water off of them should be ok, same for seed, you know if they get wet, it starts growing in the bag. i keep seed in plastic totes and tape the tag inside the lid, and mark the outside with a marker.

7. mrkosar

from Ohio

thanks fellas. i figured i would be fine. keeping everything dry, liquids are in a place where they will not freeze, and i can't wait to spread mouse turds with my overseedings next year. what is the NPK on composted mouse turds? anyone? anyone? bueller? they should act much like pennmulch with a different scent correct?

8. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

The turds will be pretty easy to take by spring, odor-wise; it's the rodent urine filling every seed bag that'll gag you.....

9. green horizons

green horizons LawnSite Member
    from zone 5

I would expect seed that is kept dry will be fine. I have successfully seeded with year old seed that was kept cool and dry. Chemicals.... well, I think it depends upon the chemical in question. I try to use chems that are new, but I have also used simple amine 2,4d's that are a year old without problems.

10. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The question is more of what type/mode of action fungicide/insecticides are affected by sub-freezing temperatures.
    Coloidal solutions are extremely sensitive when water or silicon based.
    2,4-D and most amines are not affected as the primary carrier agent is petroleum based.
    You simply have to understand that extreme temperatures, both high and low can adversly effect pesticides as the temperatures will effect certain molecular structures.
    Therefore, it is very, very important to read and understand the label requirements for storage.
    Now, regarding seed storgae, it isn't necessarily the temperature that will harm the seed but ambient humidity.
    Remember the endosperm is most C3 turfgrass is essentially a large protein blob and will either fracture or spoil regardless of the temperature due to the humidity. That is why a dry, dark basement is a good place to store seed - sealed or protected from damage by pests.