Storage of Equipment

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by packerbacker, Dec 13, 2004.

1. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I use a 3 car garage at one location and 1 bay of a 2 car garage at another location. I maintain these properties in exchange for the storage use. I also have a 2 gar garage at home that I work out of durning the season.

Gene

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

my situation is a bit different. I live by a small town (300)about a 20 min drive form the small city (20000) where I do most of my work. I don't have anyhting but a open pole shed at my house. I rent two 10 x 20 storage units on the edge of the dity where I work. I can just barely back the mowing trailer into one and I keep the fert and spray and other equipemnt and some hand tools in the other. I also keep a small trailer at home and a few things I only use occasionnaly. I bring the mowing rig home about once a week to do my yard and a couple that I do in town here. I like being able to just back the whole trailer in at night and close the door. It's more secure than It would be at my house and I don't havae to pull the trailer down the highway home and back every day.

3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

How many square feet? And what is the cost? I'm curious.

Here - 1800 sq ft - $555/month includes large garage door, Large office area, toilet. I pay water and electric. I also pay renters insurance and alarm company.

What are some other set-ups and price?

4. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

We keep all equipment in both our barn and garage.

5. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Packer. I keep my equipment in a nice size storage unit, 12 x 24, and pay $175.00 per month. That allows me to keep everything on the trailer for the next days work. This is what I use until I lease/buy a bigger building.

6. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

In the winter I crowed the stuff in a small yard barn. all mowing season It all sits on the trailer outside.(except hedge trimmers and chainsaws) everything has a lock on it. it sits under some big maple trees. next to my house. I tarp it when it rains, but most of the time I just leave it open. I live 10 miles out of town and own 1.5 acres. and I can care less of what the neighbors think.

7. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Right now everything is at home but it is getting a little crowded.The problem is I can't seem to find anything close to home at a decent price.I did find 1 place this week 1210 sq. feet for $550 plus utilities but it comes with a 3000 sq. foot office and they will not separate the 2 unless the office goes first then I can get the shop.The place would be perfect for me 5 minutes down the road.

8. slicksilverado01

slicksilverado01 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

at one point I was looking for a place that had shop, office with utilities... I was going to live in it... cant get any cheaper :p

edit unless if you stay at home with your parents (cant get cheaper than that) :rolleyes:

9. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 20x35 barn in the back corner of my yard. It was built by my grandfather in 1946, when they lived in the house I now live in (we have since done many additions, and our house is now valued at $1.7 million, yes $1.7 million). Anyway, it works really well, because most of my equipment fits in it, and I have about 1/5 acre (our entire property is 3.4 acres) behind it to store materials and other stuff (wheelbarrows, barrels etc.). I keep it looking nice and neat, and since I maintain all of my neighbours yards, no one complains.

10. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

We just finished constructing a 2400 square foot commercial structure in an Industrial Zoned area here. Bought the lot 2 years ago...saved like crazy...and put it up with no payment!!!!! Taxes of course.....
    Had a local engineer design it and I was my own general contractor...a little experience behind me..huh huh...20 years Building/Mechanical Inspector fo the local jurisdiction.
    With my position it was of utmost importance to get out of the neighborhood. We haev 6 Fords...2 enclosed and 2 open trailers...mowers...seeders...aerators....etc.....toom uch for the residential area!