1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Storage or Lot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky05, Nov 5, 2005.

1. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

Do anyone of you guys have a yard or lot or garage you keep all your equipment in? I have reached the point where if I dont get a piece of ground somewhere my business is going to be losing big time. I spend so much time just loading and unloading my trucks and trailers. I rent a spot at this local business who are nice enough to allow me to park my dump truck and box trailer, but I have another smaller truck and smaller trailer that I use and am lucky enough to have this old lady that lets me use her garage but I have equipment everywhere. My house, my parents house, the lot, the garage its insane. If I dont find something soon Iam going to go insane. I was just curious to what everyone else does once they reach that point.
  2. Need a Little Trim

Need a Little Trim LawnSite Member

I have almost the same questions that you do. Code enforcement is a big time problem and you can't have trailers in front of the front wall of the house.

Before the hurricane we were fine my house had a huge ass backyard. After the total destruction of my house my parents home is less than reliable place for any of my equipment. So I have to resort to loading and unloading every day in the back of my truck. Really starting to be a pita. Oh well sorry about whoring up the thread I needed to vent.
  3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'd invest in a small plot of land, build a decent size garage big enough to store all my equipment in and securely lock up at night, then you're pretty much set.
  4. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Same boat here, I bought 5 acres but now I'm having it re zoned for light industrial to build my 60x64 barn....its always a hassle with the city and zoning inspectors here.
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

lucky i bought in fla before the boom really took hold. i have 3/4 acre with huge garage and 2 storage buildings. i spend 0 time to load &unload. i drive the truck fully loaded into the garage every night. the only draw back is my good vechiles (which i dont use for work) have to stay outside.
  6. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have businesses in two locations. About 20 miles apart. Site A we have a building and works good. I wish it were bigger but it is storage. Site B were looking at building a 72 x 80 or 100. That location we do 80% mow. There are 5 trucks with trailers and every crew has there route. Usually 2 - 3 guys per rig. We are renting currently but I don't like to rent. That is money down the drain and I would rather own and see my money work for itself. That is my story.
  7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

stuff at my home, rental shed, leased parking, mother's home.

It really is BS.

THE ONLY possible advantage to the "patchwork" system is that if there is ever a fire, or major burglary, all "eggs are not in one basket" and just by virtue of being in different places you never suffer a total loss.
  8. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

got alot of room but i'm running out fast so one full garage and building a big shed to put the mowers in
  9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I would look at a storage faculty like where you would store furniture/household items. My old company did that for quite a while until employee theft became a problem. Enclosed trailers are also a cheap (compared to buying land) alternative, but you still have to find a place to park them. I am in the same spot property here goes up by the minute, I hate to rent but what are you going to do? Enough whining members, we all have the same problem any other solutions??
  10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I would purchase property. Look at the rental rate. Think of this way. Would you rent a mower b/c it cost 10k and you need it to operate your business? Mowers keep going up, gas - well lately it has been going down, insurance goes up but gotta have it. Truck's don't get any cheaper but I guess you all own one, trailers of some sort are needed to place / haul equipment. List goes on. I beleive in ownership 100%