Storage Question (gas)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard many different answers form many different people about this question. Do you run your engine dry and completely remove all gas or run stbil through and fill both tanks?

In the book that came with my Kawi it says to run engine and both tanks dry and to remove the little fuel reserve thing on the carb and clean and remove the fuel from it. What is the right way to do this?

2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

This is what we do turn gas shut off vavle run the machine until it shut off all the gas is out of carb.

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

We never run our machines dry, we just maintenance them and park them when we're done. In the spring we always run some Schaeffers fuel treatment through them and we havn't had any major problems. Just do what the manual says for your engine and you should be fine.

4. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

A 10mm wrench on the bolt at the bottom of the bowl will get it off. Be careful with the gasket that is at the top. When you loosen the bolt, gas will leak out. Continue, and remove the bowl completely to clean it. Re-install and make sure the gasket is in place properly. You can run the tanks dry by running the motor, or by draining them from the petcock. Your choice. NOW, personally I fill the machine with stabil and run it that way for the last couple of weeks of the season. Top the machine off and put it away for the season. I have several Kawasaki motors, treat them this way every year, and have NOT had a single re-start problem come spring. Also, draining all the gas can cause carb. gaskets to dry-out, and an empty gas tank is prime for a container of moisture.

5. Husky03

Jim Dailey: It sounds much easier to just run some stabil the way you do it. Also, do you know what the size of the drain plug for the oil is? I do not have a lot of metric sizes so the last time I changed the oil I had to use a crescent wrench which was a pain. It is on a 15HP Twin.

Thanks...

6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I am in Florida for the winter, and equipment is back home in the northeast for the winter. Don't hold me to it...BUT...3/4" seems to ring a bell. When you figure out what it is, go to the auto parts store, buy one, paint it the color of the mower. That way you will always recognize what it is for.

7. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

jim daily::: Damn great idea with the painting the tool the same color as mower :drinkup: :drinkup: beer is on me. Thanks for that idea.

8. Husky03

Whatever the size when I find it I will paint it or tape it or something. :p

Thanks...

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Fill the gas tank full with fuel + stabilizer mix. Run it enough to get the mix to the carburator and shut the fuel valve off. If there is not shut off valve, I would run the engine with the mix until it reaches the carb, shut off, pump gas out, run engine until its stops, shut off and fill tank back up with treated gas. The idea is to run all the gas out of the carb and still keep the tank full to prevent condensation over winter.

10. DuallyVette

DuallyVette LawnSite Gold Member

I just put Stabil in the full tank and run the motor for 5 minutes. I've NEVER had a problem. Empty tank = moisture problem. Dry carb = other bad stuff.