storage question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Feb 2, 2009.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i've been looking for storage the past few weeks and one guy asked me today if the fertilizer is flammable. the answer is no right? storing straight fertilizers is fine, but if it has pesticides then I need a license right?

anything i need to worry about if i were to store it in someone's garage besides them stealing fert?

2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Look at the MSDS. Many states require a license to apply fertilizer. What are you going to do for weed control once you feed the weeds? Sorry to be such a downer but stick to what you know and do best. Leave the rest up to the pros. Just my 2 cents.

3. mngrassguy

Storing fert in a garage? What if there is a fire and the fire dept dumps a ton of water on it? Fert running down the street into storm sewers, massive clean-up, very expensive. A site plan needs to be filed with the FD so that doesn't happen.

4. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

5. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i will be storing the weed control in my own garage, but can't fit all my fert in one place, so I'm looking for possibly homeowners with unused storage areas. i do know fert/squirt and do it well, but was just asking a simple question about the hazards. i know...i know...read the label. i do most times, but with the vast amount of LCO's that have probably ran into this issue before, I figured why not just ask on lawnsite.com. i have a license and have been doing this for many years, but as you grow, you run into certain issues you have not experienced. That is when i reach out for other LCO's that have more than likely faced and found a solution to that issue. Why take 30 minutes out of my day to research it, when I know I can post this question, get a solid answer from someone who has already avoided this obstacle, all while only taking 2 minutes from my busy day?

a fire at any place with fert would result in a nasty run off situation whether at a garage or storage place.

someone has had to ran into this issue before. not everyone can go from loading up daily at Lesco to a full warehouse full of fert. anyone else?

6. mngrassguy

FYI....MSDS is not a label. Good info Treegal.

7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

How much fertilizer are we talking about here? Your asking if you need a license to apply fertilizer, so I doubt your storing a semi load.

Also, come on guys.... If it catches on fire it will wash into storm drains when the fire department puts it out? That would happen anywhere it was stored, it dosn't matter if its in someones garage or in a storage facility.

8. mngrassguy

OK, I'll try this again. I store fert in my garage. I had to file a site plan with my local FD along with a MSDS for each product stored. I also had to put a sign outside the garage stating where it is stored. They also told me to keep it covered in plastic at all times. Talk about PITA. This is required ANYWHERE fert/pesticeds are stored.

9. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

not in Fl, they can get you to put it up and have a fire suppression system, spill container, cleanup gear and the fire Marshall gets his $$, monthlys and placards for the bays, fire cabinet if applicable. notice to adjoining buildings, fire wall upgrades, NFPA, and all the things you said in triplicate, quarterly!!!

10. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Don't allow your fertilizers to come into contact with certain oils. The results will be catastrofic.

All of our fertilizers are kept away from our pesticides (Liquids) We place the ferts on pallets so they don't come into contact with the concrete to pull moisture. All the pesticides are stored in metal-vented enclosure babinets in my 20x30 shop building.
    Make sure you have ventilation. Make sure that all the materials are labeled correctly and posted signs are visible. Have hazmat cleanup supplies, and a fire extenguisher handy. Really, you may consider consulting you local fire code and materials agencies before storing quantities of products or fertilizers. Each state will differ depending on the locale. Hazardous materials are what they are and not many people want to know that you are storing the bad stuff around. It is a fire code !

For me, I live out in the county and don't have a neighbor for 3 acres away!