Storage Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CGLC, Nov 25, 2004.

1. CGLC

CGLC LawnSite Member

Hi, this is my first year in lawn business and it's about that time to put my equipment away. I decided to use Stable and was wondering if i have to cut the fuel off and run my machine dry. Any help with winter storage advice would be great. Thanks

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We always cut the fuel off and let them idle a few minutes before we put them up everyday. I would just run the fuel out of the carburetor and add fuel stabilizer. I would change the oil, grease all fittings,put new spark plugs and clean the mower before putting it up for the winter.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

What he said^^^^^ and store them inside if at all possible.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

good advice on the fuel stabilizer above

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

They are telling you right,i start my equipment through the winter also.

6. CGLC

CGLC LawnSite Member

What do you do for the blowers and trimmers?

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I use Opti-2 oil mix,it has a stabilizer in it, never any problems.

Gene

8. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

For the blowers and trimmers we make sure all screws are tight, replace any broken or worn out parts, clean air filters, new spark plugs, new fuel filter(if needed), and on yours trimmers we clean the guards and make sure there is grease in the gears on the shaft (needs to be checked through the season).

9. CGLC

CGLC LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I just am confused because i read from another site this... "Maintain a full tank of fuel and do not close off the fuel **** or run the engine dry.
    Maintaining fuel in both the tank and carburetor reduces the chances of moisture from forming, which promotes gums, vanish, sludge & rust". Form this site http://forum.doityourself.com/archive/index.php/t-41576.html. So you can see my confusion