Storage Solutions!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenShoesLC, Jul 1, 2010.

1. GreenShoesLC

GreenShoesLC LawnSite Member

I'm looking for some input on the best storage solution for my equipment.

Currently I'm making do with keeping my stuff in my car spot in the garage. However, I'd like a more permanent solution (and to park my car inside too!)

There is space (about 12W x 30L) beside the garage at the rear of my property.

Currently I have a small amount of equipment that would fit into a Garden Shed. So option A is to buy a 10x10 or so shed and put the stuff in there.

I store my trailer (a 6x12 landscape) in this same 12x30 area as well.

I've played around with the idea of buying an enclosed trailer which would allow me to keep my equipment locked in it. But monetarily it's out of the question for me.

Option B: I also thought that if I was able to find a ~12x20ish steel storage container (similar to the containers used by PODS and other portable storage companies) for a good deal I could put it in the space that I have available. This way I would be able to back my entire trailer right into the container, and then lock everything up without having to take it off the trailer.

How much would I pay to get one of these steel containers?

Thanks,

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a canopy style shed for my car, like 10x20 fully enclosed so it could
    store equipment, theft might be a minor issue but then they're only like 2-300.

Because solid sheds of any decent size ain't cheap.

3. GreenShoesLC

Yeah, I've thought about the canopy before and I shied away from it just because of the possibility of theft.

Will it really cost more than 1-2K for a metal container like an old railway container, or semi container?

4. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

It would be nice to see a picture topsites, along with a contact address.

Please!

5. GreenShoesLC

ha ha ha ha. I hope MS_SURVEYOR wouldn't be desiring to engage in theft..

6. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

:confused:

:hammerhead:

Naw! I could use a cheap storage cover that could stand up to wind!

:drinkup:

7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

you can buy used cargo containers for short money I seen them around hear in perfect condition for 1 to 2 grand, these things are secure as hell the outside of it can be finished to look like a shed or house. the 1 major draw back is weight they can't be arbitrarily moved around they need to be placed by the lift truck. So make sure it is placed exactly where you want it

8. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 LawnSite Senior Member

Pros vs. cons of storage container:

Pros - Very heavy construction, will last for a really LONG time, won't blow away or be damaged by wind, virtually impossible to break into when locked properly.

Cons - Expensive to purchase and to move, no windows or ventilation (other than the door), so very hot inside in summer, not that attractive to look at.

I've often thought about buying one for extra storage, but, then again, I have a good friend that has land outside of town that I could use to put it on. I don't think I would put it in my yard if I lived in town, just because of how they look. Your mileage may vary, however.

Just my $0.02

9. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

ours stays outside most of the time.

you have to remember, Repair is NON tax deductable, where NEW is.......

10. mbrew

mbrew LawnSite Senior Member

Could you explain that?