storage unit as shop

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CLARK LAWN, Feb 4, 2008.

1. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i was wondering if anyone uses storage units for their shop? I have i unit rented in one thats about five minutes away, small unit 10x20, that i use to keep the off season stuff in. i can get a second one in there for half price and thet will also let me park my truck and trailer inside the fenced in area. only drawback i see is that i will have to do maintenance work here still but i think it will work out at least till i find something better.

2. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

David used to rent a large bay from a storage unit rental company. They have units all over town, but the bay was connected to their office. It was a great size and he could pull the truck and trailer in easily.

Drawbacks: He couldn't grind blade while the office was open because of the noise. And the door was really big and he kept putting his back out. Also, David is not that organized, so he had to clean up at the owner's request when the request was made, regardless of his customer's scheduals.

When we bought our home we had it re-zoned for home-buisness and he built a garage.

3. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

for now we are renting a 20x25 storage from one of those rental places it has electrical outlets and lights a little small but we got a 6 by 10 trailer w/ another w/b in the shop plus air compressor and tools plus acouple of work benches this is just temp till we find something in the spring or sooner w/ a large lot and storage

4. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

Hopefully I will be adding another crew this year. What I decided to do is have two 10x25 units. One for each crew. I will give them both a sprint pda and work will be sent to the pda every morning.
    I use qxpress software.

5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We have 2 12x30's, works great for us. It's about 20 mins. from the house, but for $85 a mt. it's a great deal.

6. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Same here I have a 10 x 30 that got my stuff out of my garage. My wife began letting me sleep in the house again once the garage was returned to the family.

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 10x30 that is $110 a month. And quite frankly it SUCKS, because its on the complete opposite side of town from my house and most of my lawns. I am gonna find something differnt to do this year (like build a shop here at the house).

8. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest not building one at the house if you have a family and cherish them, reason being you will spend more time in the shop then with the family !!!

9. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, we had a good deal. That is excatly how much the bay David rented was a month.

We are glad we don't have to do it anymore, no matter what a bargain.

10. IndyChad

IndyChad LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Storage facility works until you can build a shop. It does get annoying spending that money every month for storage.

Mrs. H,

I was just wondering about this "David" you always talk about. Is he real or just your imagination? I am waiting for the headlines on E news: "David: The Man, The Myth, The Story behind the Story" lol