storage

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Dec 22, 2008.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

please share your methods. most of the local companies around here have their own building and then the really small guys use their garage. i'm right between these two and am trying to figure out the cheapest, but best way to get storage for about 25 skids or so. advice, suggestions, opinions, etc....? what type of cost do you guys allocate to your storage yearly?

i have looked into self storage type places, but most do not want pesticides or fertilizer in their storage areas. i have a buddy with a small barn, but that is quite a bit out fo the way relative to my routes.

anyone use or look into using a small warehouse type storage area where a truck can back up to the opening in the building?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I used a self-storage locker for a couple of seasons. Fert with crabgrass control. Had a few problems lining up a hilo to get it off the truck. You may have to store the liquids in your own garage.
    If you can find a self storage operation that has a hilo they will rent--and a loading dock if possible--good deal.

3. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

Wow that's a lot of fert to have no building for storage. Sounds like you've'e been in need for a while. Can you afford to invest in a building? You must have equipment to store also. Renting is an option too I guess. There was a time when we out grew our storage building and tarped tons of fert outside for a while until I built our warehouse and new office. It worked for a temporary fix. Storage units could work for you too. Just make sure your supplier while provide a spyder to unload the pallets for you. You will need a pallet jack too.

4. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

do you offer mowing/landscaping services as well?

If no, do you have good relationships with companies that do? Could you think about sharing space with one of these companies?

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. It is hard to think about eating rent when you have been getting by without it. But, I just don't know how I am going to get by without some space this year.

5. mrkosar

from Ohio

no i don't offer any of that. i know a couple smaller companies, but am pretty sure they run their companies from their garages.

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

We rent a warehouse, but we also need it to store our christmas lights. So it helps to justify the space.

I wish we could afford to buy, but with commercial property at a premium (limited availabilty) and not able to touch anything for under a million dollars we will continue to rent for the forseeable future.

We bought a used Toyota forklift a few years ago to unload the trucks.

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

If you are near a port there are shipping containers that are used to ship products by ship all over the world. they are normally 40 foot minimum and water proof. I know some folks that buy them for right around $300. They can be stacked on top of each other as well

8. KACYDS

KACYDS LawnSite Senior Member

I like the way Bill thinks, my church bought two 40' containers to store their fair booths and other equipment in. They paid $750 for both delivered. Since we do live on a port (New Orleans), thats relatively cheap for storage. I don't know how far they will deliver those containers.

The only problem with a container is that how are you going to unload a truck of fert into the container. You will need a ramp and at least a pallet jack to get the fert into the back of the container. Also if you looking to store 25 pallets, you will need two containers. The most one will hold is 18 pallets.

9. mrkosar

from Ohio

i like that idea. i will have to do some research. anyone have small sheds built for this type of stuff? what type of price would i be looking at for that?

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

here goes
    i had 20 foot sea boxs great storage but
    u need a ramp to get in them only about 8 inches but still a ramp
    a skid steer will set the pallet in the door and a jack will push it back
    you can double stack them if you have a fork lift and a pallet jack that will move 5k in weight and some animals to push it,
    a forklift will not fit in the 8.6 high ones the mast hits the top bummer.
    just go to a self storage place and set up shop and do your thing.
    do you have 25 skids all at once? i try to space out when they come to keep my space.