Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MuskTurfKing, Oct 16, 2001.

1. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have some interesting stories to post about the crazy stuff that we deal with every day? Good, bad, funny, crazy...whatever just kinda stuck in your mind.

I remember one time I was cutting my own lawn and a big German Shepard was chasing a gang member down the street, he pulled out a gun and shot the dog, I was about half a block away and witnessed the whole thing. My neighborhood was pretty bad a few years back, lotta gangs, drugs, and heard automatic gunfire a lot...

Another time I was driving with my parents and we saw an old black man trying to use a smoking 20 year old LawnBoy as a snow thrower, my stepdad almost hit a telephone pole laughing so hard...

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

my neighbor uses his snapper 21 inch in the winter to vacuum up the snow. i also have another funny story. my father owns a couple gas stations. it is all landscaped really nicely with small tress and bushes. keep in mind that this is a 24 hr station. somebody came in at night, (somehow the cashier didnt see) and dug up three fairly good sized bushes and trees and stole them. now they have been replaced with anchored wire going deep deep into the ground
  3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

A few weeks ago we were working at an assisted living facility for senior citizens.

Two black Angus cows (actually a cow and a bull) came charging across the property from the adjacent shopping center. They broke out of a farmer's trailer at a busy intersection.

Cops tried for hours to corral the cows with no luck. They ran into the woods and were shot a few hours later when it was determined that the cows were not going to surrender peacefully.

We drug the dead cows out of the woods with a Gravely 260Z. We used a John Deere HD75 walk behind to load one of the cows onto my landcape truck. An hour after it was shot the cow was at a local slaughterhouse. The other cow was buried as it was too messed up to be processed.

Needless to say, I have a freezer full of beef. So does one of my empoyees, as does my mother. I have enough beef to eat each night for the next three months if I wanted to.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

About a week and a half ago, I was aerating a lawn by a lake and it was windy out. I was going across about the middle lawn when a canoe came rolling across the lawn right in front of me and the paddle wasn't far behind it. The canoe rolled 3/4 of the way across the lawn. It takes some strong wind to blow a canoe about 125 feet. :)
  5. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

this didnt happen reasonly but i had a deer run bye me while mowing it scared the **** out of me but a very beautiful sight though
  6. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i was cutting my back yard a couple of weeks back with one of my Walker side-discharged 26hp EFI's, cruising along jammin' with the headphones on when my wife came running at me pointing....

i had turned near a 6' chainlink fence and the dump bed snagged it.

i was dragging 80' of fence, and never felt a thing.

of course i said i was breaking up core plugs.......

'Bob Marley has been good to me...' :dizzy:

This spring i sucked up a mole through a Walker GHS, i had the grass deflector on and the little sucker splattered all over a sidewalk. Those lil' F@c%ers stink. and messy...........

hmmmm........ I run a "Walker moler" with the all new exclusive "VHS" (varmint handling system)

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You dont see this listed in the Walker vs. ZTR comparison! Compact does not mattter, its the amount of tractor behind you that matters in tight situations. "Swing...wide, sweet, Walker"

Thank God it was your fence, HUH! :rolleyes:
  8. My "get undressed" guy is sounding like a good one here.
  9. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I have this one lady who I hate (dropping her after this year) and I have her neighbor's house next door too. One time while I was over in this neighbors mowing, I hit the BIGGEST:eek: garder snake I ever saw. I mean I chopped the head right off. I think it tried to attack my Great Dane when it happened. Well I didn't see it for a few min. after I was done. So when I saw it, I pulled my kinife out, and got the snake on it and started to walk down the sidewalk w/ this HUGE snake. As I walked toward my truck, the lady I hate saw the snake and FREAKED OUT:cry: . I was a good 250 feet from her and she screams, "What is that! Get that away FROM MEEEEEE!"
    And then she ran into her garage. I laughed so freakin hard I almost peed my pants.
    I know people are afraid of stuff like that, but this was very excessive.
  10. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a bunch, but these are the two funniest ones I can remember.

One time I was cutting a back yard that had three dogwood trees in it. None of them were higher than about 15 ft. When cutting around them I noticed they felt like someone had dumped motor oil all over them. I noticed on the back porch my customer had a bottle of thompsons water seal and a paintbrush. Sure enough, I went back to the truck to get the trimmer, and by the time I got to the back with the trimmer, my customer is outside water sealing his trees. I asked him as politely as possible why he was doing that. He told me " Oh I do this every year to protect the trees through the winter!"

Another time I was cutting down a large yew that had been planted way to close to a house and had grown to about 9 or 10 feet tall. As I was starting my chain saw my customer came out screaming "Wait! Wait!. I have to move my bird bath!" I looked over at the bird bath, which was about 25 feet away, and told her not to worry it would not even be close to being in my way. She told me that wasnt the problem. You see when I start my chainsaw all the birds are going to want to fly in and see what is going on, and in her words" she dosent want anyone getting hurt!. She then proceeded to carry this bird bath, full of water, up a flight of steps and into her kitchen! This old lady is one of my favorite customers. But Im not sure the elevator still goes all the way to the top.