Storing 4 cycle equipment for the winter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Nov 25, 2001.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Should power equipment equipped with 4 cycle OHV motors have the gas drained for winter storage? On 2 cycle equipment, I know the gas should be run out to prevent gumming. However, I am getting conflicting reports on 4 cycle motors. Some people say leave the tank 1/4 full and add a fuel stabilizer. The gas is supposed to help the tank from rusting. Other people say to drain the whole thing. Who's right?

2. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I drain all my gas tanks for winter because I don't want old gas runnin in em next spring.

3. JOED
    MOST TANKS are now polyethelyne and rust is not a factor.
    I start putting stabilizer in the last couple weeks in the season
    And run the engine dry at seasons end .I also put oil in the hole where the sparkplug is and pull the cord a few times to get it distrbuted on the piston rings etc

4. hustlers

hustlers LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

i put fuel stabilizer and just leave some in at the end,
    drain in spring,
    put a little marvel mystery oil in the oil and run about 10 min.

I never had a problem, I just make sure to drain fuel and
    oil in spring

5. This is the oldest and tested method to store any gas equipment for any length of time. Even though we don't store for the winter, my tiller, trencher and other landscaping equipment is stored using the above way.
    John

6. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I was told by my dealer to run the two-strokes dry and put stable in the four-strokes and leave fuel in their tanks. Works for me.

7. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

What about batteries??? Every year we have been taking out the batteries and storing them in the basement to keep them warm, then put them back in again in spring and cleaning the posts off. Though ive heard that you should charge them too when they arent in use so they dont go bad or something??

We run our 2 cycle motors dry, and our 4 cycle ones get stablizer put in them and run for about 10min with some fuel left in them, its been working for the past couple of years. We also greased up everything for the winter too.
    Now i just want this winter to come soon and leave as quickly as possible, i miss mowing :cry:

Matt (lawnman)

8. I to put the batteries in the basement .Ikeep a good battery charger made just for lawn and garden batteries .Keepem charged up all winter but most of them when in the warm dont need to be charged up much

9. G.Williams

G.Williams LawnSite Member

We drain all tanks and run until dry all 2 and 4 stroke motors. have done so since business was started. Never have had a problem in startup whatsoever. Drain them all out.

10. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

What exactly does the fuel stabalizer do?...I had some mixed with some 2cycle gas for a while, and when I looked at it, it formed a layer at the top that might keep the air in the tank from getting to the gas.