Storing equipment (Where's your shop)?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by colehatch, Jul 6, 2005.

1. colehatch

colehatch LawnSite Member

I'm not in the lawn care business but am considering it. One of the things I was curious about is where people store their equipment? Do you rent storage? I asking because I'm not in a situation house wise where I can store gear in my personal garage. If you do rent what sort of monthly fee are you paying?

2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My family owns storage complexes...that seems to help me!
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Well nowadays with the price of everything I have an acre lot and the underneath of my house is a large stand-up area with lighting and a full-size door so I keep my stuff here to keep cost down.

For my first 3 years I know a guy owns a farm and he let me keep my stuff there which was nice: Out of the weather and I got to use his air-compressor + pneumatic tools. Rent was cheap: $120 / month.

From what I've heard, renting storage is expensive and has disadvantages:
    - They have HOURS: Get there too early and the gates are locked, get back too late and the gates are also locked.
    - Theft (and believe this - Vandalism): The locked gates evidently stop nobody and if your equipment is out in the open (most the time a truck + trailer will be out in the open), I hear say it's bad luck (flat tires, broken windshield, missing 12-volt car battery).
    - To rent a closed-in space large enough for all your stuff is usually not feasible. In most cases, a small 8x10 (or whatever) runs like $70/week.

So, see if you know someone with a large lot (the guy I knew had 16 acres), just like PLM-1 - Family and friends help.
  4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

My dad gave me two 15'x40' units with tall doors. Kinda nice!
  5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I rent a 10' X 20' storage space. 24 hour access, lighted, enclosed, locked, alarm protected, gated access. Grand total....$112 a month and no worries. When I get another large WB I'll move up to a 10 X 30 for a whopping $20 extra.
  6. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I mow for a storage facility and storage is free
  7. johnmatt2004

johnmatt2004 LawnSite Member

quit bragging dude :rolleyes: nobody cares, the guy is looking for advice.

some stoarge unit places will let you park a trailer (with secured equipment on it) outside in a designated spot on the lot for like $35-$45 a month. so good locks, cables and engine covers for your equip would be a must- they are really something you will need anyhow.